Silent cycle - plant list

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I've seen them in Maidenhead Aquatics if there's a branch near you. The one near me calls them neon green rasboras.

Ok here it is! Really pleased with the azalea root, great shape and size for this tank. There was so much java fern in the pot I've attached it all over. The salvina is getting blown around all over the place, is that ok?

20201003_215022.jpg

Ok here it is! Really pleased with the azalea root, great shape and size for this tank. There was so much java fern in the pot I've attached it all over. The salvina is getting blown around all over the place, is that ok?

View attachment 118619
Yea, it'll take a second but it'll make a ring around the flow and should be fine.

Looking good. Give it a bit for everything to settle and hopefully the Salvinia greens for you.

You've really done a great job. Makes me wanna rescape my Ciano 60!

I've Azalea root too and love it!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20201002_191316.jpg
    MVIMG_20201002_191316.jpg
    391 KB · Views: 104
Tank looks good, my salvinia has been slowly disappearing but I have plenty of anacharis in the tank.

what kind of water change schedule should I be doing during these first couple of plant only weeks? Also, 8 hours with lights ok?

8 hours is good for daily light timer.

Do the normal weekly water changes, 50-70% as plants won’t get affected by water changes.

View attachment 118619
Blowing all over the place is preferable to being sucked into filter, mangled up and spat out everywhere. The roots were detached from the leaves and it looked like someone had dumped a barbers floor into my tank. Hair like stuff everywhere. Ill not be getting Salvina again. Carnage within 30secs of turning everything on for the first time. Id never had floating plants during my other fishkeeping phases just rooted so didn’t know.
An airline ring and old stocking foot does the trick. I was slowly working my way around to that idea via thinking of anything at all that would float that I could enclose them in when one of the regulars on here mentioned it.

Hmm, this afternoon the water seems to be clouding up. Possibly tannin released from the wood?

20201004_123618.jpg

Hmm, this afternoon the water seems to be clouding up. Possibly tannin released from the wood?
Tannins cause the water to go yellow, brown or black depending on the amount of tannins being released into the water.

Milky cloudy is a bacteria bloom that regularly occurs in newly set up tanks. If the tank is cycling just ignore it.

Green cloudy is an algal bloom that is caused by too much light and nutrients.

I got some Aqua One azalea root 3 weeks ago. It has been sitting in a tank of water in the garden since then. At first it made the water so cloudy I couldn't see though it, but it's taking longer now to go cloudy - I changed the water on Thursday afternoon and it was Sunday morning before it showed slight cloudy again.

If you have the same type of wood, it could well be that. I have 2 pieces both bigger than yours so I'd expect more cloudiness from mine.

Tannins cause the water to go yellow, brown or black depending on the amount of tannins being released into the water.

Milky cloudy is a bacteria bloom that regularly occurs in newly set up tanks. If the tank is cycling just ignore it.

Green cloudy is an algal bloom that is caused by too much light and nutrients.
I got some Aqua One azalea root 3 weeks ago. It has been sitting in a tank of water in the garden since then. At first it made the water so cloudy I couldn't see though it, but it's taking longer now to go cloudy - I changed the water on Thursday afternoon and it was Sunday morning before it showed slight cloudy again.

If you have the same type of wood, it could well be that. I have 2 pieces both bigger than yours so I'd expect more cloudiness from mine.

It looks quite white at the moment. Will see how it develops. I'm not adding any amonia so seems a bit strange to get a bacteria bloom.

I had the azalea root soaking in a bucket for 24 hours before it went in the tank. The water in the bucket didn't seem to change colour much. I also washed the sand for what felt like an eternity and the tank didn't cloud up when I added the water so I don't think it's the sand.

If it turns yellow/brown I'll do a big water change. If it stays white I'll see if it passes.

Bacterial blooms have nothing to do with ammonia. The bloom bacteria feed off carbon based chemicals and they live free floating in the water. They also multiply very fast compared to the ammonia and nitrite eaters. The good news is that they die off once they've eaten all their food supply.

My azalea root did not make the water cloudy for the first three days, just a brown tinge. Then suddenly the water went very cloudy and there was white fuzz all over the wood. I have read that some types of white fuzz are poisonous which I why I'm waiting for it to go away. I've been scrubbing the white fuzz off and pouring boiling water over the wood. There's not much fuzz left now and the water is taking longer and longer to go cloudy so I'm hoping it won't take much longer.

The tank only came with one LED lighting strip, but room for two. To promote growth I've been thinking of adding another. Ciano sell a 'plants' lighting strip that has a different blue/red wavelength than the stock white light, but I can't seem to find how many lumens they have.

Is there any benefit to getting this apparently plant friendly light over another white one?

Thanks again!

Bacterial blooms have nothing to do with ammonia. The bloom bacteria feed off carbon based chemicals and they live free floating in the water. They also multiply very fast compared to the ammonia and nitrite eaters. The good news is that they die off once they've eaten all their food supply.

My azalea root did not make the water cloudy for the first three days, just a brown tinge. Then suddenly the water went very cloudy and there was white fuzz all over the wood. I have read that some types of white fuzz are poisonous which I why I'm waiting for it to go away. I've been scrubbing the white fuzz off and pouring boiling water over the wood. There's not much fuzz left now and the water is taking longer and longer to go cloudy so I'm hoping it won't take much longer.
I scrubbed and boiled my azalea half a dozen times and ended up throwing it away. Every time I put it in tank it was ok for a few days then the fuzz returned. Twas very little clouding after the first couple of times but the white fuzz looks horrible and scary.

I scrubbed and boiled my azalea half a dozen times and ended up throwing it away. Every time I put it in tank it was ok for a few days then the fuzz returned. Twas very little clouding after the first couple of times but the white fuzz looks horrible and scary.
I just successfully dealt with black beard algae using hydrogen peroxide with a spay bottle. Maybe try that.

Most reactions

Back