Silent cycle - plant list

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Anubias nana - attach to stone or driftwood using thread, fishing line or Aquarium super glue.

Echinodorus 'Reni' - mine came as one plant, one root structure so I planted as is.

Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red' - plant as is. It's a lovely variation in colour for the tank.

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' - I'd see if it's one big root structure or a few. Sometimes they come bunched together but easily seperate into multiple smaller plants. Some leaves may melt at first but don't worry - it'll grow back.

Hygrophila Siamensis 53B - no experience with but again i go by the roots.

Microsorum pteropus Java Fern - attach to rock or driftwood using thread, fishing line or Aquarium safe super glue.

Salvinia auriculata - sits on top and floats and grows

Anubias nana - attach to stone or driftwood using thread, fishing line or Aquarium super glue.

Echinodorus 'Reni' - mine came as one plant, one root structure so I planted as is.

Lagenandra meeboldii 'Red' - plant as is. It's a lovely variation in colour for the tank.

Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Tropica' - I'd see if it's one big root structure or a few. Sometimes they come bunched together but easily seperate into multiple smaller plants. Some leaves may melt at first but don't worry - it'll grow back.

Hygrophila Siamensis 53B - no experience with but again i go by the roots.

Microsorum pteropus Java Fern - attach to rock or driftwood using thread, fishing line or Aquarium safe super glue.

Salvinia auriculata - sits on top and floats and grows

Thanks.
I've just been notified that the plants will be delivered tomorrow. A bit sooner than I was expecting. I won't have time to set up the tank till the weekend. Should I just put the plants in a bucket of water till then?

Thanks.
I've just been notified that the plants will be delivered tomorrow. A bit sooner than I was expecting. I won't have time to set up the tank till the weekend. Should I just put the plants in a bucket of water till then?
Yep!

Yep, put them in a bucket of water, add a small pump to aerate the water and maybe add a drop or two of liquid ferts just to keep them happy if going to be at least few days in the bucket.

If just for a few hours or a day or so, then just simply put into bucket of water and no need for pump or ferts.

Just tested my tap water for the first time (rather than rely on the local water report).

pH~7.3
Amonia between 0-0.25ppm
NitrIte=0
NitrAte~30ppm (London/Kent water for you!)

I used to think those nitrAtes were a bad thing for the fish tank, though now I guess my plants will use it as fertiliser? I suppose that's one way I can see how much the plants are absorbing by seeing how the nitrAte levels change over time.

I'll add some pictures once I'm set up this weekend.

My target stocking is now 4 honey gourami and 8 harlequin rasboras. Once the plants look like they are happy and growing is there a prefered order to introduce these fish? Is either hardier than the other? Would the 8 HR be too many to add at once?

Thanks again for the advice!

Just tested my tap water for the first time (rather than rely on the local water report).

pH~7.3
Amonia between 0-0.25ppm
NitrIte=0
NitrAte~30ppm (London/Kent water for you!)

I used to think those nitrAtes were a bad thing for the fish tank, though now I guess my plants will use it as fertiliser? I suppose that's one way I can see how much the plants are absorbing by seeing how the nitrAte levels change over time.

I'll add some pictures once I'm set up this weekend.

My target stocking is now 4 honey gourami and 8 harlequin rasboras. Once the plants look like they are happy and growing is there a prefered order to introduce these fish? Is either hardier than the other? Would the 8 HR be too many to add at once?

Thanks again for the advice!
Add the rasbora first, and then the gourami. Less stress on the plants and cycle.

Add the rasbora first, and then the gourami. Less stress on the plants and cycle.

Thanks. Is that because they produce less waste, or are hardy fish?
All 8 in one go, or 4 at a time?

Boooooo to Harlequin Rasboras. Get the Microdevario Kubotai instead.

I silent cycled with:
AmazonnFrogbit
Water Lettuce
Salvina (hate the stuff now so lobbed it in compost bin)
Duckweed
Anacharis
Hornwort
Moneywort
Ceratopteris Thalictroides

Since added:
Bacopi Monnieri (Only disaster I think. Can’t remember names)
Eleocharis Acicularis
Taxiphyllum Barbieri
Bananna Plant (seriously cool)
plus a few more I’ve forgotten the names of.

As it was peak lockdown I was desperate to get any plant in as I knew Id be unable to add fish for a while so a silent cycle was a slow non urgent start.

Boooooo to Harlequin Rasboras. Get the Microdevario Kubotai instead.

I silent cycled with:
AmazonnFrogbit
Water Lettuce
Salvina (hate the stuff now so lobbed it in compost bin)
Duckweed
Anacharis
Hornwort
Moneywort
Ceratopteris Thalictroides

Since added:
Bacopi Monnieri (Only disaster I think. Can’t remember names)
Eleocharis Acicularis
Taxiphyllum Barbieri
Bananna Plant (seriously cool)
plus a few more I’ve forgotten the names of.

As it was peak lockdown I was desperate to get any plant in as I knew Id be unable to add fish for a while so a silent cycle was a slow non urgent start.

Must admit I've never seen M. Kubotai. I'll keep a look out for them at the LFS

Must admit I've never seen M. Kubotai. I'll keep a look out for them at the LFS
They’re on YouTube as well. Lovely little fish, way more eye catching that harlequins. Their green against the plants green magically emphasises their sparkle under lights according to my mate up north. He’s got about 25 he thinks.
I’ve only seen em in lfs and youtube footage. LFS does em no favours though.

I've seen them in Maidenhead Aquatics if there's a branch near you. The one near me calls them neon green rasboras.

I have kept Lambchop Rasboras (Trigonostigma espei) which is very similar to harlequins but a bit smaller is all really, and microrasboras kubotai, I have to admit I actually prefer the Lambchops, just like their colours more is all.

Both are actually nice active little fish species, both are very similar as to activity and behaviours and also to tank parameters tbh.

And that are a welcome addition to any tank whichever one specie you choose (or even if you've the space for a nice little group of both ), just a personal preference as to which colour you like more is all it comes down to really.

Most reactions

trending

Back