Sick betta

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Ekfour

Reaction score
Hi! New here. My betta has been sick for almost 2 months now, and no medication seems to work. Tried medication for ich, dropsy, velvet, added aquarium salt, nothing seems to help. There was fin rot but it seems to have stopped. I had previously thought it was velvet but thereā€™s no more gold dust on him. He kept lying on his side, eye lid is half closed and hardly moving. There was a period he breathed heavily but is now normal. He had been eating normally until 2 days ago when he stopped eating altogether. There are no other fishes or items in the tank since he got sick and Iā€™ve been changing his water every 3-4 days. Anyone knows what it might be?

Attachments

• DDA9A36B-6954-483A-AE91-83F09D4A0D72.png
    DDA9A36B-6954-483A-AE91-83F09D4A0D72.png
    543.3 KB · Views: 103
What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Is there a filter in/ on the tank?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
What is the temperature of the tank water?

How much water do you normally change when you do a water change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

Can you post a picture of the tank and a short video of the fish moving around and eating?

Hi.

In order to help you, we first need some information.

1). How big is the tank?
2) How long have you had him?
3) Do you have any results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH?
4). When was the last water change and how much did you change? Did you use dechlorinator?
5). What are his symptoms?

Can you post a picture of his tank?

What are the tank dimensions (length x width x height)?
Is there a filter in/ on the tank?
What is the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the tank water?
What is the temperature of the tank water?

How much water do you normally change when you do a water change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

How often and how do you clean the filter?

Can you post a picture of the tank and a short video of the fish moving around and eating?

Tank size is 22x22x16cm
No filter in the tank
The last i test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH level is normal.
Temperature of tank is around 28-29deg celcius
Usually do a 50%-70% water change but after he fell sick Iā€™ve been changing only 30% Max 50% if its really dirty. The strange thing is there are white flacks like dust (not really dust dust) in the water a day after I change.
Its been an empty tank since he got sick so i just wash the entire tank when I change the water
Iā€™m not sure how to post video here. I can only post photo...? But dont have any of him eating previously, now he is not eating at all so cant take it.

Hi.

In order to help you, we first need some information.

1). How big is the tank?
2) How long have you had him?
3) Do you have any results for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, GH and KH?
4). When was the last water change and how much did you change? Did you use dechlorinator?
5). What are his symptoms?

Can you post a picture of his tank?

Tank size is 22x22x16cm
Had him since oct last year
Yes always used water conditioner
I just changed the water this morning because he havent ate since sunday night feed and water had too much food residue.

Initially he seemed to display symptoms of velvet but he doesnā€™t seem to have the gold dust anymore and doesnt do sudden sprints anymore either.
There was also fin rot which has stopped now.
The only thing thats visible is his half closed eyelid and him laying at the bottom not moving. He also struggles to go to the surface to breathe so i reduced the water significantly.. at least to a level that he seems able to swim up to. Had previously tried more water but he just stopped swimming halfway up. Most worrying is him not eating.

photo attached is this morning

Attachments

• A08BC189-6554-43F6-AF63-CAC759FA5824.png
    A08BC189-6554-43F6-AF63-CAC759FA5824.png
    395.3 KB · Views: 104
If he is unable to get to the top of the tank to breathe fresh air it was a good thing to lower the water level. When I had a Gourami go through something like this I built a platform out of stone where he could lay on top of it it and get fresh air. Tried every drug I could find, symptoms kept changing for a couple of months. Eventually she too stopped eating completely and just looked miserable - I euthanized her with clove oil. Sounds like that's about where you are at right now. Don't make him suffer.

Tank size is 22x22x16cm
Had him since oct last year
Yes always used water conditioner
I just changed the water this morning because he havent ate since sunday night feed and water had too much food residue.

Initially he seemed to display symptoms of velvet but he doesnā€™t seem to have the gold dust anymore and doesnt do sudden sprints anymore either.
There was also fin rot which has stopped now.
The only thing thats visible is his half closed eyelid and him laying at the bottom not moving. He also struggles to go to the surface to breathe so i reduced the water significantly.. at least to a level that he seems able to swim up to. Had previously tried more water but he just stopped swimming halfway up. Most worrying is him not eating.

photo attached is this morning

What is the actual ammonia level (no filter means no nitrite) in ppm or mg/l?

It sounds as though all of his problems are caused by water quality issues. Bettas need a filter and a heater in their tank. You'll need to carry out daily water changes of at least 40% until you get a filter and his tank is cycled. Plenty of live plants will help keep ammonia down and increase the amount of dissolved oxygen in the water.

A couple of days not eating isn't cause for concern - they can go for about 10, days or so without food.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back