Shrimps keep dying & white ring around the shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Probably nothing to worry about - the shells are in multiple sections to allow movement (and for larger species, easier peeling ;) at barbecues).

:eek: You monster! ;)

I love prawns. Since getting shrimp as 'pets', I've continued to eat prepared or frozen prawns, but have to admit, I haven't had a prawn that requires I peel it since...

Thanks Seagee and Essjay for the confirmations. Just saw your messages.

I went to a LFS just now and I asked the storekeeper for advice. He told me that my GH at 8 is too high. He said its not due to not having enough minerals in my tank. He told me to lower my GH to 3-4.

My tap water GH is 5. I believe my GH increased due to the rock which I put earlier.
So if I can continue to change my tank water, I believe that I can reduce my tank GH to 5-6 which will be ok for the shrimps.

He also told me to reduce feeding of protein as he said in the wild, they only eat algae/vegetables.
I guess he could be right.

I almost wanted to buy the Beta glucan just now, but its a different brand.
I think I may buy it this weekend.
Currently, I am using AE bacter, Shrimp King Complete, Hikari mini algae wafer and fish food which are high in protein.
I will cut down on the protein.
I also bought Shirakura Soft just now.

He told me that my GH at 8 is too high. He said its not due to not having enough minerals in my tank. He told me to lower my GH to 3-4.
I wouldn't listen to this person. The higher the GH the more minerals there are. At GH 3 to 4, there won't be enough minerals for the shrimps to make an exoskeleton.

However, you didn't say what species of shrimp you have.
Cherry shrimps, Neocaridina davidi, can live in a wide range of hardness from soft to hard. other shrimps such as crystals need soft water.

I agree GH 3 to 4 might be a bit low. I think 5-6 is the right GH.
I am keeping mainly Neocaridinia - Fire Red, Yellow or Golden, Super Blue and wild Tiger. Right now I am at 8. If I can reduce to 6-7, I think I will leave it at 6-7.
I almost forgotten I also have Bamboo shrimps.

I agree GH 3 to 4 might be a bit low. I think 5-6 is the right GH.
I am keeping mainly Neocaridinia - Fire Red, Yellow or Golden, Super Blue and wild Tiger. Right now I am at 8. If I can reduce to 6-7, I think I will leave it at 6-7.
I almost forgotten I also have Bamboo shrimps.
Bamboo shrimps are also known as soft water shrimps so 6-7 would suit them fine.

I like salty shrimps, I buy it on amazon. But I occasionally add eggshells (once a week or so) to the tank as well. I added a "shrimp mineral rock" but I don't know if it actually makes a difference for that one.
Please describe your routine for the eggshells, I moved about a dozen of my shrimp colony to a different tank and two of them have developed this ring.

I searched through the internets on how to prevent the white ring issue.

Here are my conclusions:
1)Water change
:
Make sure that when you change water, your new water GH, TDS are very close to your tank water. If not, this white ring will occur again.
If the GH and TDS are too much different, then you can only make very little water change probably 20% or less.
If you use RO, then you need GH+ salt to increase the GH and to add mineral (especially calcium, magnesium, etc) which are important for the shrimps.
I guess probably you don't need the egg shells if your GH is high enough or your shrimp food has enough Calcium.

2)Diet: Ensure that you feed them well with vegetables diets that have high Calcium.
I think Shrimp King Complete is one of the best as it has many types of vegetables + Beta Glucan to increase the shrimps immune system against bacteria and virus infections.
Kale seems to has the highest Calcium.
(Borneo Wild carries Kale food).

See some food information here.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073X6SX4P/?tag=ff0d01-20

3)GH, TDS:
I think the best GH for Neocaridina shrimps is between 5-6 or 6-7.

For Caridina species, probably will be even lower.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Please describe your routine for the eggshells, I moved about a dozen of my shrimp colony to a different tank and two of them have developed this ring.
For boiled eggs, I just make sure I peel the inner layer of the egg out (even though they would probably eat that part too), rinse it in tank water, and set the piece in a place that isn't obvious (it seems a bit unsightly) like under the coconut hut or on the other side of my sword plant. The shrimp drift over it as needed. I make sure switch the old piece out for a fresh one every week.

For boiled eggs, I just make sure I peel the inner layer of the egg out (even though they would probably eat that part too), rinse it in tank water, and set the piece in a place that isn't obvious (it seems a bit unsightly) like under the coconut hut or on the other side of my sword plant. The shrimp drift over it as needed. I make sure switch the old piece out for a fresh one every week.
Great, I just wondered about the inner layer.
Do they eat at the shell?
Either way I'm not hiding mine!
I'll be putting a stick through it to make it like a 1970s pod house. It will be their little clubhouse. Teehee ☆

I wouldn't listen to this person. The higher the GH the more minerals there are. At GH 3 to 4, there won't be enough minerals for the shrimps to make an exoskeleton.

However, you didn't say what species of shrimp you have.
Cherry shrimps, Neocaridina davidi, can live in a wide range of hardness from soft to hard. other shrimps such as crystals need soft water.

I am also puzzled tht by right Neocaridina can take wider range of GH. But my shrimps keep having white rings.

If the white rings are caused by the shrimp-specific bacterium, it will happen regardless of hardness. But yes, Neocaridina davidi can live in a wide range of hardness.

If the white rings are caused by the shrimp-specific bacterium, it will happen regardless of hardness. But yes, Neocaridina davidi can live in a wide range of hardness.
Okay, shrimp-specific bacteria?
Is there a test for this?
Feeling kinda panicky all of a sudden...

This is something I was told when my shrimps died, it may or may not be true. But if it is true any bacterium only affects one species of shrimp. My first shrimps all died with a white ring but since then I have had no problems; not the ones born in my tanks or the odd ones I've bought to 'increase the gene pool'.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back