Shrimps keep dying & white ring around the shrimps

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Lajos_Detari

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to prevent white ring around shrimps bodies?
My shrimps keep dying.
My tap water GH is 5 but recently my tank GH increased to 10-11.
I suspected its due to a big rock.
After removing the rock and water change of 20%, the GH of my tank water dropped to 8.
Thanks in advance.

The same thing happened to me for the first 10 weeks or so, I would lose one every other week. Then I had a population explosion. I started adding minerals until they stopped failing to molt.

Stable temperature, clean water, and often the addition of a small amount of iodide can help. Kent Marine makes a good product and Brightwell Aquatics makes Florin I which is specifically for shrimp and planted tanks.

Stable temperature, clean water, and often the addition of a small amount of iodide can help. Kent Marine makes a good product and Brightwell Aquatics makes Florin I which is specifically for shrimp and planted tanks.
I'm still fairly new to keeping shrimp too (I only saw the first shrimplet in May, but my temp is 79 so those are adults already and have had more babies), so I have a lot left to learn. I spotted a bit of a ring on a shrimp earlier today and panicked, but it was only a slight line where the moult usually happens, not a gap around the entire body. I'm also still seeing perfect moults in the tank, and my water is hard. Am I perhaps seeing the white ring of death, but early? Or did I just happen to notice a female who is about to moult? I don't know whether what I saw is normal, or a sign that something might be wrong.

The same thing happened to me for the first 10 weeks or so, I would lose one every other week. Then I had a population explosion. I started adding minerals until they stopped failing to molt.

What minerals are you using and how much did you use?
I saw Seachem Equilibrium in the internets but I can't this products at my nearby shops. I may need to go to others shops further away.
Thanks again.

Thanks for the reply.
I think my nearby shops don't carry these brands. But I will try to search again.

Do you think Seachem Equilibrium is suitable?

If you use Florin, how much do you add?

Last edited:
I haven't used Equilibrium so I don't want to endorse it or not. I have used the other two. Here is a link to the product page that goes into dosage.

You can get the product online through various sites.

I'm still fairly new to keeping shrimp too (I only saw the first shrimplet in May, but my temp is 79 so those are adults already and have had more babies), so I have a lot left to learn. I spotted a bit of a ring on a shrimp earlier today and panicked, but it was only a slight line where the moult usually happens, not a gap around the entire body. I'm also still seeing perfect moults in the tank, and my water is hard. Am I perhaps seeing the white ring of death, but early? Or did I just happen to notice a female who is about to moult? I don't know whether what I saw is normal, or a sign that something might be wrong.

I am suspecting that it could be due to minerals such as Calcium deficiency based on the internets info.
So, I may add some minerals as Circus & Chad suggested.
But I may need to know how much to add as the minerals will increase the water GH.
I will have to add slowly to prevent GH swing which can kill the shrimps.
Also, my tank GH is 8 now. It's almost at the limit for my Fire Red shrimps.
Some websites suggest tht the GH should be around 6-8 for this shrimp. I wonder how true.

I haven't used Equilibrium so I don't want to endorse it or not. I have used the other two. Here is a link to the product page that goes into dosage.

You can get the product online through various sites.

Thank you.
I read the link that you sent.
It seems good for shrimps moulting.

Last edited:
I like salty shrimps, I buy it on amazon. But I occasionally add eggshells (once a week or so) to the tank as well. I added a "shrimp mineral rock" but I don't know if it actually makes a difference for that one.

I like salty shrimps, I buy it on amazon. But I occasionally add eggshells (once a week or so) to the tank as well. I added a "shrimp mineral rock" but I don't know if it actually makes a difference for that one.

Thanks. I will look into the products.
Yes, shrimps mineral rock will definitely help.
But some brands of shrimps mineral rocks are a bit risky based on some feedbacks in the internets as the amount of minerals are harder to control.(I guess).
I think salty shrimp will be better.

How much eggs shell do you put each time?
I suspect my fast growing plants Cabomba and Anacharis may absorb and deplete the minerals in the water.
So, I will have to add more minerals that can help with the shrimps moulting.

Thanks. I will look into the products.
Yes, shrimps mineral rock will definitely help.
But some brands of shrimps mineral rocks are a bit risky based on some feedbacks in the internets as the amount of minerals are harder to control.(I guess).
I think salty shrimp will be better.

How much eggs shell do you put each time?
I suspect my fast growing plants Cabomba and Anacharis may absorb and deplete the minerals in the water.
So, I will have to add more minerals that can help with the shrimps moulting.
About 1/4 of a shell. It depends on how many pieces it breaks into when I make breakfast, lol.

Ive read about adding a cuttlefish bone to the tank? The ones often sold to bird keepers (do they sharpen their beaks on it?)

But I may need to know how much to add as the minerals will increase the water GH.
I will have to add slowly to prevent GH swing which can kill the shrimps.
Also, my tank GH is 8 now. It's almost at the limit for my Fire Red shrimps.
Some websites suggest tht the GH should be around 6-8 for this shrimp. I wonder how true.
Its not a calcium deficiency. The GH in my shrimp tank is 6dGH. When I first set up the tank with tap water it was 18. Over time I gradually reduced it to 12 and finally to 6 where I am keeping it.

I spotted a bit of a ring on a shrimp earlier today and panicked, but it was only a slight line where the moult usually happens, not a gap around the entire body.
Probably nothing to worry about - the shells are in multiple sections to allow movement (and for larger species, easier peeling ;) at barbecues).

My GH is 5 and my cherry shrimps are fine with that.

There is an infection which causes shrimp to die when trying to moult and it leaves them with the appearance of a white ring across their backs. I had this 7 years ago when i first got shrimps. I was advised to use Beta-G which stimulates the shrimps' immune system so they can fight off the infection better.
This is the product aimed at aquariums, if you can get it where you live https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ZAGE6FY/?tag=

I can't say for sure if it worked for me as all the adult shrimp died before it finally arrived (first one lost in post) but the last shrimp gave birth to lots of shrimplets before she died and most of them survived.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back