Shrimp With Tiger Barbs?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

phi1w

Reaction score
Am looking at getting some shrimp and was wondering which species would be ok to put with the tiger bars.

I currently have 8 tigers and also have 5 Odessa barb in the tank.

Sadly I think any shirmp would just be harassed or eaten by barbs, and anything bigger than standard shrimp may decide barbs are food.

yep get rid of the barbs, I had golden barbs and had to return them as they were harassing the red cherry shrimp. The barbs were only 2 - 2.5cm, when I first put in my shrimp into my tank, I actually saw one swallow one whole, took him a while to get it all in :mad:
was a juvenile that one though

my zebra danios tend to leave them be, except when they are sinking down from the top of the tank, then they try to peck at them but the shrimp dart away

I've found one dead only so far (had them a month I think), it was soft, so looked like it was attacked when it had moulted

I don't know about Golden Barb behaviour, but I have six Tiger Barbs who get along well with my Ghost Shrimp. They're always right next to each other, so it's not a matter of the shrimp just hiding.

In fact, my Ghost Shrimp aren't just surviving; they're thriving. I started with 4 Ghost Shrimp and am now a proud parent of 8.

I don't know about Golden Barb behaviour, but I have six Tiger Barbs who get along well with my Ghost Shrimp. They're always right next to each other, so it's not a matter of the shrimp just hiding.

In fact, my Ghost Shrimp aren't just surviving; they're thriving. I started with 4 Ghost Shrimp and am now a proud parent of 8.

Ghost shrimp have 20-30 babies at a time, so if they had babies in order for you to get up to 8, some of them were eaten in the process. I have a cherry shrimp tank and the only species I have in there are cherries. One female had babies and I went from 10 shrimp to around 30 overnight.

Ghost shrimp have 20-30 babies at a time, so if they had babies in order for you to get up to 8, some of them were eaten in the process.

I never thought of it that way. I guess I never put 2 & 2 together. So given enough tiger barbs in the tank, it's plausible for all the offspring to be eaten and for the group never to multiply.

(Thanks for pointing this out.)

So I guess my amended response [to the OP], is that in my experience, Tiger Barbs will not harass or eat adult ghost shrimp. ;)

This gets me thinking again about my other post on "What Large Freshwater Fish Will Not Eat Ghost Shrimp" you responded on also. I'll respond over there though.

Most reactions

Back