Shrimp Tank for Bettas?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Oli

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have been looking to get a small tank for a single Male Betta fish and recently stumbled upon this. Despite it being advertised for shrimp, it comes as a 30 litre (8 gallon) and includes a filter and heater (preset to 25c.) Is there anything about this tank that would make it unsuitable for a Betta?
Thanks guys!

Attachments

• B9646F5D-0B42-4995-9317-D4A04AB2CDA2.png
    B9646F5D-0B42-4995-9317-D4A04AB2CDA2.png
    319.2 KB · Views: 65
In my opinion the size 8g isn’t enough I would think you need at least double that

Most places on this forum have said 2.5 gallons is enough. I was more asking about the shape, filter type and heater would be suitable?

The thing which puts me off that tank isn't the volume, it's the shape. The footprint is just 29 x 29 cm (11.5 x 11.5 inches) and it's 35 cm (14 inches) tall. This is OK for shrimps but even a betta needs more swimming length than this. I would prefer a shallower, wider tank for a betta.
I'm not sure about the light either. It says it has 3 modes, one of which is blue for at night. Tank lights should be off during the night but I can't find out if you have to manually set it to be on or off at night or if it's automatically on.

(They do make other lights this type, Leddy Smart 2 which is just on and off and comes in two types. I have this one on my shrimp tank)

How about something like this. And then purchase my own heater, filter and light system? Do you have any recommendations about filters as I have only ever used Biorb?
Thanks

Attachments

• 88FCCA55-5032-41BA-9104-89EFE8E95904.png
    88FCCA55-5032-41BA-9104-89EFE8E95904.png
    255.9 KB · Views: 62
IMO sponge filter will be better for a betta. Due to less water current. Thats what I've always used for bettas anyway.

EDIT: One draw back of sponge filters is you will have to cycle it (not sure if squeezing gunk from an existing filter into the new sponge will work, my knowledge doesn't go that far) But you can seed mechanical filters with mature media.

Last edited:
How about something like this. And then purchase my own heater, filter and light system? Do you have any recommendations about filters as I have only ever used Biorb?
Thanks
I've always preferred to build tanks with separate parts, than buy the "kits", that usually come with cheapo/underperforming components

So I think I’m going to go with the Fluval spec V. Does anybody have experience with this? Looks like a good shaped tank that hides the filter well. If anybody knows if the filter and led light share a plug or will this require 2 plug sockets?

I will be looking at purchasing the spec V kit as well as a heater. I have never had tropical before so if anyone could recommend a small suitable heater for a Betta.

I am also not confident on planted tanks, will it be suitable to keep using artificial plants and artificial driftwood?

thanks guys!

I bought one of all in one tanks for my Betta, it’s 25 ltrs and I wouldn’t do it again. The filter had a sealed cartridge and needed replacing monthly…I prised the housing off and bought individual items.

Blue is my first fish (well not counting the losses due to not knowing anything about cycling a tank) I put sand in the bottom and chose some easy care plants, they’ve done really well with very little attention. It is more of a jungle look than some of the very structured plantings you see. I did have a piece of wood, but somehow he caught his tail and made a tiny tear…now he just has plants but he seems happy enough. (There are floating plants as well now).

F8BB95C7-F95B-4768-82E8-F8FA1131BEDE.jpegBB63B120-AC13-47AF-99D2-0DFA630249FB.png

I have my betta in the fluval Spec V and I love it. It's been great. You will need a sponge to cover the filter outlet because the flow is too strong but that's easy to get. I added a small sponge filter to mine. Beautiful, great little tank. Perfect for a betta in my opinion.

The filter and light need separate sockets by the way.
Yeah after more research I’m definitely going with this one. So 3 sockets for the filter, light and heater 😅 do you have recommendations for heaters? I’ve read that some of them are small enough to high along with the filter behind the compartment.

Can you also provide information on filter changes and how that works. I have existing ceramic media in my Biorb. Could I add this to the filter to speed up the cycle? Btw would love to see a picture of your set up. Tempted to go artificial

Thanks!

Yes, three sockets. I just use a power strip. I bought the heater from Aquarium Co Op which fits perfectly in the compartment so it's out of the way. It has worked well. There is a big sponge basically in the hidden compartment and it has some bio rings and carbon that you can rinse or change out. I take out the entire sponge and squeeze it and rinse it in tank water every once in a while and that works well. I put a sponge on the outlet because the flow is too strong for a betta. I found the water became a little stagnant and I would get a film on the top so I added a small cheap sponge filter to create some movement. The picture below is from before that. I've improved the set up since but don't have a recent picture. Please excuse the sick betta. I treated him and he improved. But I hope this helps. The tank is great. You should get it.

Attachments

• IMG_6213.jpeg
    IMG_6213.jpeg
    273.9 KB · Views: 45
Here are some other pictures in case they help. You'll have to excuse all the little people in the way. Ha.

Attachments

• IMG_5453.jpeg
    IMG_5453.jpeg
    79.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_7958.jpeg
    IMG_7958.jpeg
    47.4 KB · Views: 56
I use HOB aqua clear 50
image.jpg
with a suction cup planter to slow the current. I’ve seen others use a plastic tray like soap dish not sure if it works with this setup or it’s too light. If you need ideas ☝🏻

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back