Shrimp Spawning Process

Hawkins

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
1,340
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
United Kingdom
Could somebody please fully explain the shrimp spawning process?

I know the females carry the eggs for up to 30 days, but then what??


I have a female Cherry shrimp with eggs. Are the eggs already fertilised or is that done externally?

Thanks
 
Mating takes place before the eggs descend to the shrimps pleopods (swimming legs). If the eggs stay attached to her pleopods for more than a couple of days then they should be fertilised. Any unfertilised eggs will be discarded by the female. The mum will take care of the viable eggs, fanning them until the tiny little shrimplets hatch (approx. 3-4 weeks). The baby shrimps are fully formed miniature versions of the adults. They are absolutely tiny - about 1½-2 mm.
 
Oh ok thanks. That helps alot!

I bought them on Thursday and she still has the eggs. sometimes I think they look a little yellowish/light lime green. not sure if this is normal?

Good to know that she has had them for 5 days in my care now. And she is still allowing fresh water to flow over them.

First time with shrimp breeding so its all good xD
 
I bought them on Thursday and she still has the eggs. sometimes I think they look a little yellowish/light lime green. not sure if this is normal?

Sounds normal to me :) The colour darkens a little as the eggs mature.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top