The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SConrad

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Titusville, Florida...WHERE THE SPACE SHUTTLE GOES
lol
well i have been thinking of getting some shrimp to clean my 10 gallon tank. right now i have 4 redeyed tetra and 1 dwarf gourami in it... i want to be able to have a lot of shrimp so they'd have to be somthing small and i don't want to spend too much money either*less than 10$

would ghost shrimp do the job well?
thanks--sconrad

I wouldn't use them as cleaners, though some people do. They still require food, and even if they could digest feces and scraps of uneaten food, they wouldn't remove the nitrogen and the like from the water. You can't buy animals in order to replace regular water changes and maintenance.

Anyways, you could add a few to start, but try taking care of them.

Well, then it's a good idea. :D

A little diversification and getting creatures in all strata of the tank is a good idea, IMO.

Ghosts will eat nearly anything and everything they can, even algae although they're not what I would call "good" algae eaters.

I have amano shrimp (although they were sold as algae eating shrimp). I think they do a better job of cleaning, and they eat quite a bit of algae.

There are also cherry shrimp...alot more colorful than amano and ghost, but not sure if they eat algae or not. Hope this helps.

Do they only eat the green algae or the brown algae too?

What about bamboo shrimp? They are considerably larger though, and you said you wanted to have alot of them. Maybe one bigger shrimp would be alright. I don't know much about these shrimp, though. I think they are peaceful, but they sort of creep me out in lfs (being a big shrimp and all lol). :sick: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back