Shrimp In An Open Topped Aquarium?

Genesis

If you're a cory and you know it clap your.. hands
Joined
Nov 13, 2005
Messages
1,499
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
GB
Hi guys!
I have a new open topped 5 USG nano tank I'd like to add some Amano or Cherry shrimp into! :D
Will they crawl out? :crazy:

:unsure:
 
I would have thought they would climb out yes
 
I have 4 Amano and 1 Ghost shrimp, and they do have a habit of jumping like firecrackers if you accidentally put your hand near them or they are disturbed by a fish. I wouldn't put it past them to either crawl out or sit very near the surface on a plant , where they may be disturbed by sudden movement or suchlike, and then leap out. Personally I wouldn't put them in an open top tank.
 
My Amano shrimp lived in my 50 litre but then i had to medicate my tank so moved them to my small hospital tank, the tank had tiny hole for the wires and everyday i woke up to find a dead shrimp on the floor, after 2 shrimp i sellotaped up the holes... still 4 more jumped out... in the end i have 2 out of 8 left!

Definitely don't put them in an open top tank!
 
If you are keeping just shrimp in this tank, the shrimp are not likely to go carpet surfing.

Active fish may spook them as said.
 
Cherry, crystal reds, greens and bumblebee shrimp dont go walkabout at least I have never seen it happen in the five gal I have, but amanos can at least until they are very settled in the tank.
 
Thanks, I bought 5 Cherry Shrimp and they're wonderful little creatures, full of personality! :D
 
normally shrimp do not jump, as long as they enjoy the water, enviorment, nothing scare them etc. most of my shrimp tank is open topped. every rare u will find one or two jump out.

if u worried, leave some gap between the water surface and the top of tank.
 
There is a gap of roughly an inch :)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top