Shrimp eggs or something else

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Celine

Reaction score
Hello,
I suspected one of my shrimp to have eggs 2-3 weeks ago and now my aquarium glass is showing little spots (mostly on the left side). I am just wondering if these may be shrimp eggs or if there is something else going on. As far as I know, there is no snails in my tank and I have not brought any new plants since October last year. There are also corydoras in my tank (total population 6 corydoras and 3 shrimps)
My tank is a 64L so if they are shrimp eggs and they hatch, I ma have to consider finding them a new home. I am including a few pictures.
Any comment much appreciated!
Thank you!
Céline

Attachments

• AB01C994-CF3F-4903-9D2E-EABB424497CF.jpeg
    AB01C994-CF3F-4903-9D2E-EABB424497CF.jpeg
    438.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 788FA181-E0F8-4CB4-8217-217303766674.jpeg
    788FA181-E0F8-4CB4-8217-217303766674.jpeg
    277.3 KB · Views: 70
  • 341EF3BF-5C9B-4918-B514-5696C7A037DD.jpeg
    341EF3BF-5C9B-4918-B514-5696C7A037DD.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 71
I do not believe those are shrimp eggs, Most shrimp like Ammano shrimp carry their eggs under their stomachs, you will be able to see their eggs attached to them. It is possible for them to drop a few eggs but the amount of eggs they drop is minimal it is not an extreme amount like seen on your glass. Also the eggs would not stick to the glass and they are a more rounded shape. It is similar to a very tiny ball

When the eggs from the Amano shrimp are gone that means they have Hatched, Amano shrimp-lets are extremely hard to keep alive, they usually need to be put in brackish water I believe and then you would slowly have to convert them to freshwater. The shrimp-lets are hard to raise from their larvae stage to their adult stage few people are able to do it.

That looks more like debris on your glass then eggs. you should be able to get it of just by wiping the glass.

Shrimps carry their eggs with them and I'm not sure that amano shrimp eggs would even hatch in freshwater. What's on your glass just looks like muck to me ??‍♀️

those arent eggs sadly, shrimp keep their eggs under their tails during development.
and even if they where somehow fertilized eggs that would survive and hatch they larva would still die since in nature once they hatch the amino larva go out to sea and stay there until they reach sexual maturity, after that they return to freshwater

Copepods or seed shrimps - maybe? The ones in my cherry shrimp tank look just like your photo. Do they move around? If so, they are probably these harmless, tiny crustaceans. On another thread someone suggested that Endler’s livebearers might like to eat them......

Most reactions

trending

Back