Shrimp all died!!!!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

zebazto10q

Reaction score
I have a ten gallon aquarium with 12 ghost shrimp amd 4 rosy minnows. They get along fine. But i added a couple of leaves to the aquarium (mongolian, guava, and loquat) then they all started to hide under them and just die. Some just swam around in circles and died. I was bummed cause they were all so entertaining to watch. I dont know if its the leaves because my minnows weren't affected negatively at all infact they enjoyed having the leaves in their. The leaves were washed with extremely hot water and then scrubbed.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

If the shrimp were fine before the leaves were added, but died shortly after the leaves were added, then they were poisoned by the leaves or something else you did at the same time. But most likely the leaves.

Did any of the leaves produce a white sap? if yes they were the most likely cause.

What did you scrub the leaves with, a clean "fish only" brush or just one from the laundry/ bathroom?

--------------------
I would remove the leaves and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.

Were the leaves dry? Where did you get them from?

mongolian,
More details please.

If the shrimp were fine before the leaves were added, but died shortly after the leaves were added, then they were poisoned by the leaves or something else you did at the same time. But most likely the leaves.

Did any of the leaves produce a white sap? if yes they were the most likely cause.

What did you scrub the leaves with, a clean "fish only" brush or just one from the laundry/ bathroom?

--------------------
I would remove the leaves and do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate.
None of the leaves produced white sap. From my knowledge all the leaves are safe for aquariums. I scrubbed them with toothbrush ._.

None of the leaves produced white sap. From my knowledge all the leaves are safe for aquariums. I scrubbed them with toothbrush ._.

*A clean unused toothbrush

Where do you live? In a city or a rural area? I think the leaves were contaminated or not dry enough.

Where do you live? In a city or a rural area? I think the leaves were contaminated or not dry enough.
Hmmm. The thing is the fish werent affected. Im confused.

Shrimp are more sensitive to changes than fish. I agree though, they must not of liked what was one/in the leaves.

Shrimp are more sensitive to changes than fish. I agree though, they must not of liked what was one/in the leaves.
What do you think killed them off that was in the leaves?

Shrimp are more sensitive to changes than fish.
Indeed they are even doing big water changes can affect them, Thats why if you intend to keep and breed shrimp you need a mature tank and small water changes like 10 to 20% a week max. Red Cherry shrimp are hardier than say Bee or Crystal shrimp where even things like TDS can affect them.

Indeed they are even doing big water changes can affect them, Thats why if you intend to keep and breed shrimp you need a mature tank and small water changes like 10 to 20% a week max. Red Cherry shrimp are hardier than say Bee or Crystal shrimp where even things like TDS can affect them.
Hmmm. Thanks for the advice.

I can't say for sure, but I'd guess that the sudden increase in tannin, or whatever leached from the leaves, was too much and too fast. Sudden changes and increases/decreases of things in the water can effect sensitive shrimp.

I can't say for sure, but I'd guess that the sudden increase in tannin, or whatever leached from the leaves, was too much and too fast. Sudden changes and increases/decreases of things in the water can effect sensitive shrimp.
Ill try to slowly introducr the water change next time. Thanks

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back