Shrimp Acting Wierd...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Great tank, i love the jungle look :good: . Second ones great too, i would have separated all that hairgrass though :) .
The expansion just came out for WoW and it's ... distracting !
I've still not got that :( . I've been playing much less WoW recently though, it was interfering with the rest of my life too much. I need to wait for a good long holiday to get into it again :rolleyes: . You an ally? Or horde?

Well i found a cast skin this morning so I think they may just be hiding while they harden up. I did take a shot of the tank for your amusement :) Not gonna get time to work on it today since I am babysitting. Will get to it on Friday or Sat.

Front View of the jungle...
DSC00013.JPG

Top view just so you can see how overgrown it is, lol.
Dscf0020%201.jpg

Another reason for my distraction... been setting up a new tank.
pfk_cube_day_one.jpg
great looking tank,the jungle tank looks fantastic, in your betta tank, whats that other fish by the thermomiter? just curious, nice betta tank also,

Great tank, i love the jungle look :good: . Second ones great too, i would have separated all that hairgrass though :) .
Yes, I agree with you there, it was done a bit rushed. I plan to replant the grass and the HM slightly differently and kind of screen off the polysperma and the rocks a bit. It's a low light tank so I'm not expecting rampant growth... but the other tank is low light too, lol.

I've still not got that :( . I've been playing much less WoW recently though, it was interfering with the rest of my life too much. I need to wait for a good long holiday to get into it again :rolleyes: . You an ally? Or horde?
I play alliance. For some reason I can't level a hordie past 20 :) I haven't played much wow in months, but I have been playing a fair bit the last couple of days. The new races and the new zones are very nice.

great looking tank,the jungle tank looks fantastic, in your betta tank, whats that other fish by the thermomiter? just curious, nice betta tank also,
Thanks for the kind words. The betta tank only got planted up a couple of days ago so it's not had time to come to much.

The fish is Aspidoras Pauciradiatus. They're a small corydora like catfish. It's common name is False Spotted Corydora. There are actually 6 in that tank along with the betta, but since they are barely 1.5 cm long at present it's not much load. Even adult sized they won't get much over an inch.

:drool: :hyper: :hyper: Stunning tanks:D I love both of them especially the jungle tank :D I have never had plants until a few days ago when I bought Hardy Aponogeton Bulbs from Wal-Mart :D I just got a sprout yesterday from 1 bulb :D And I am very excited to have my first aquatic plant. It is going in my RCS tank once it is larger and once I have the filter+air pump for the tank. Im also going to have a very small piece of Java Moss which comes free with the purchase of the RCS :) Also, what is that tallish grass-like plant next to the thermometer in the Betta tank? I think I saw that at PetSupermarket today, can I put that in my RCS tank? Okay Im done rambling :)

:shout: GREAT TANKS :good:

Also, what is that tallish grass-like plant next to the thermometer in the Betta tank? I think I saw that at PetSupermarket today, can I put that in my RCS tank? Okay Im done rambling :)

That particular plant is Eleocharis parvula. Not sure if it has a common name. I would think most plants are fine with shrimp to be honest. Most commonly I hear java moss as a reccomendation.

The link is right enough. It was a tropica pot I got and the label in the pot says that's what it is :D

Back to the shrimp...

Do you think it could be a wood shrimp (Atyopsis spp.)?

They tend to be brown sort of colour.

Back to the shrimp...

Do you think it could be a wood shrimp (Atyopsis spp.)?

They tend to be brown sort of colour.
Heh, yeah we did get a bit OT.

Wood shrimp are filter feeders, these are definitely not. Also they're considerably smaller than wood shrimp which can get quite large. They seem to be a caridina or neocaridina species, precisely which is hard to determine. It doesn't help that I do not know where they were collected.

I rescaped the tank today and saw at least 4 of the shrimp. One is a darker blue/grey colour much like the photo. The other 3 that I saw are like the most recent phot, i.e. somewhat transparent with a cream/white line down their backs and on the outer edge of their tails. I didn't see the one that was more brown coloured, but they move like greased lightning when disturbed, so I'm not overly surprised. I also only saw one of my two Otocinclus... I really need to make sure the other one is ok.

The jungle look is gone now. The tank is considerably more open but it will fill out some given time. I removed the large leaved hygrophila corymbosa as it dominated the tank a bit too much. There is plenty of Rotala rotundifolia and some other unidentified stem plant which will fill out about half the tank back to a "junglish" look.

*edit* I also so no sign of the juveniles. It could be they were hiding, or they didn't survive which could indicate they needed brackish conditions ? That would lean more towards the caridinia species I think.

Wow I just realised you are from Scotland, we might have shrimp from the same shipment, did you get them in Paisley rd in Glasgow by any chance?

Wow I just realised you are from Scotland, we might have shrimp from the same shipment, did you get them in Paisley rd in Glasgow by any chance?

No, they were bought before xmas in Kilmarnock Aquatics. Could be from the same supplier. I'm doubtful they are white banded from the description that says males do not exhibit the white line on their backs. Unless I am a fluke and got 5 females that would seem unlikely. I'm still sure they are likely to be caridina or neocaridina species. If I can get some more pics I'll continue my thread on petshrimp.

*edit - typos

No, they were bought before xmas in Kilmarnock Aquatics. Could be from the same supplier. I'm doubtful they are white banded from the description that says males do not exhibit the white line on their backs. Unless I am a fluke and got 5 females that would seem unlikely. I'm still sure they are likely to be caridina or neocaridina species. If I can get some more pics I'll continue my thread on petshrimp.

*edit - typos

Lol just watch yourself on that forum the guy who runs it is a bit on the odd side.I got banned after like 3 posts.

One of my new ones has gone nice red almost as red as my cherrys.

I can post some pics of mine if you dont mind, might help get them ID'd.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back