Shrimp Acting Wierd...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

They look closely related to cherry shrimp. When the females are ready to mate they release a pheromone the males fly around the tank looking for them, that was probably why they were so active only if you see the males and females flying around do you need to worry. A ph drop from Co2 doesn’t seem to bother shrimp in my experience; I have dropped the ph by over a point in an hour in a small tank without any noticeable stress to the shrimp
The second picture of crazy Eddies looks like a Bamboo Fan Shrimp/wood shrimp.
Hope the shrimplets survive, cories aren’t the best hunters so some should make it, ottos are shrimplet safe.

These shrimp are not fan feeders, they pick at the leaves or wood or sand and manipulate it in their little claws. The biggest ones are perhaps just over an inch long. I tried to get some better pics today but I am struggling to get the colours to show true to life. The colours appear too intense on my screen.

Here are some I managed to get :

The things that I think are shrimp offspring are tiny, clear bodied with 2 black "dots" on them that I think are the eyes on the head and the internal organs. They do not seem to have legs, but they might just be too small for me to make out. I guess only time will tell as they grow if they are shrimp or not, lol.

RESGuy please don't be offended that I haven't posted there yet. I did look at the forum last night and found the tone of the moderator/admin that runs the joint to be somewhat ... grating. I don't want to go on his board and piss him off. I'm tolerant of many things but blatant abuse of power in the face of someone seeking assistance is not something I can condone. I will probably post there and see if they can assist, it will just take me some time to make sure I don't break any of their rules.

I am not in the least offended. When I like a forum or site I tend to advertise it and recommend it to anyone and everyone I talk too :D I don't care if you don't post there, that is up to you. I am just curious of the species of your shrimp. Whatever it is, it look really cool :D

Be carefull with Petshimp.com. Allot of people in another forum I belong to call him the admin "Shrimp Nazi". Basically, you can ONLY say what he wants you to say. If you talk about something he doesn't like. He gives you a VERY stern warning. The next time it occurs, you get banned. You fear of what you say can lead you to beeing removed from the forum. A little uptight I would think.

Thanks for the warning Eddie ;) If he doesn't care for what I have to say than I just as easily find a new forum to talk about my shrimp :rolleyes:

I did look at the forum last night and found the tone of the moderator/admin that runs the joint to be somewhat ... grating. I don't want to go on his board and piss him off. I'm tolerant of many things but blatant abuse of power in the face of someone seeking assistance is not something I can condone. I will probably post there and see if they can assist, it will just take me some time to make sure I don't break any of their rules.

Don't worry. You're not the first. He's a tyrant.

Lol, that forum sounds like fun :blink:. Theres a good shrimp forum that i'm a member off you could ask on, but i cant post the link here so i'll PM you :) .

Ok, I spent ages trying to get a *good* pic today...

I think I finally have an acceptable one.

click it for a larger version.

Strangely the colour seems to have gone today...

I am far from 100% but its likely that your shrimp are cherry shrimp, the wild form, I have only seen pics of wild cherries. Cherry shrimp are not red in the wild, the body shape and head is very cherry like.
Good luck with the shrimplets.

Well, I think I may have done something stupid... Added a new plant to the tank and have only seen 1 glimpse of a shrimp since. Not sure if maybe I wasn't thorough enough in cleaning the plant or it had some copper residue on it... not had the problem before but I don't know. Never thought of it before I added the plant to be honest. I suppose they may just be hiding after a molt or something, hope I haven't killed them :(.

On the topic of the babies, not seem them either. Again not sure why, they may just be hiding. I have let the tank get fairly overgrown since I want the plants to get well established before I hack them back under control. There are millions of possible hiding places, it's like a jungle :).

Need to hunt them down and make sure they are ok if I don't see them by the weekend.

I hope nothing went wrong :crazy: On another note, could you get a pic of the "jungle tank" I'd like to see it :D

Good Luck!! :good:

I hope nothing went wrong :crazy: On another note, could you get a pic of the "jungle tank" I'd like to see it :D

Good Luck!! :good:

Well, I did see a reclusive shrimp scramble when I turned the light on an hour or so ago... So they may yet live :D I'll get a pic tomorrow when the lights are on. It's very green, sufficiently so that some of the plants are suffering due to lack of light. I'm planning on doing some trimming and replanting sometime before sunday. It's just a matter of getting the time at the moment. The expansion just came out for WoW and it's ... distracting !

And I still have not posted on the shrimp forum for an id yet. So much to do, so little time.

Well, I did see a reclusive shrimp scramble when I turned the light on an hour or so ago... So they may yet live :D
That is good to hear :) Hope all goes well :good:

I'll get a pic tomorrow when the lights are on. It's very green. I'm planning on doing some trimming and replanting sometime before sunday. It's just a matter of getting the time at the moment.
Great :) Can't wait, sounds cool, I've never had plants :( I will in my new RCS tank though :hyper:

The expansion just came out for WoW and it's ... distracting !
Tsk ... Tsk ... Tsk ... I quit that game after a short time of playing those RPG kind of games are just too addicting. In fact, I deleted all games from my PC and I never owned any game systems. I think that the aquarium hobby has helped me get over games.

Go outside, the graphics are amazing!!

I have one of those, my lfs has started getting them in as amanos.I could kick myself for not getting them the first time round as they only had one left the other day(which I got).Good luck with them I just lost 2 of my beloved bumblebees today :(

Well, I think I may have done something stupid... Added a new plant to the tank and have only seen 1 glimpse of a shrimp since. Not sure if maybe I wasn't thorough enough in cleaning the plant or it had some copper residue on it... not had the problem before but I don't know. Never thought of it before I added the plant to be honest. I suppose they may just be hiding after a molt or something, hope I haven't killed them :(.

On the topic of the babies, not seem them either. Again not sure why, they may just be hiding. I have let the tank get fairly overgrown since I want the plants to get well established before I hack them back under control. There are millions of possible hiding places, it's like a jungle :).

Need to hunt them down and make sure they are ok if I don't see them by the weekend.

Actually I did the same, I added an anubias and lost 3 bumblebees and my cherries curled up and were on their way out until I removed it and done an emergency waterchange.The cherries are now back to full health.Hope yours are ok!!

Well i found a cast skin this morning so I think they may just be hiding while they harden up. I did take a shot of the tank for your amusement :) Not gonna get time to work on it today since I am babysitting. Will get to it on Friday or Sat.

Front View of the jungle...
DSC00013.JPG

Top view just so you can see how overgrown it is, lol.
Dscf0020%201.jpg

Another reason for my distraction... been setting up a new tank.
pfk_cube_day_one.jpg

Most reactions

Back