Should I use Seachem Prime during cycling?

Hornwort can be planted in the substrate or left to float on the surface. The stems will grow and grow either way so they need pruning to keep them under control. The top bit pruned off can also be planted or left floating. Being the structure that is it with those fine leaves, it's a good plant for fish fry and shrimps should you ever have any.

Hi, I currently have 7 plants in my tank and I am planning on getting more. I do not know the species of the plants I have (except 1 - the hornwort/coontail), so I was hoping the forum could help me identify them? Thanks. I have photos attached below. Sorry the water is cloudy, it has been 5 days since the setup so I am thinking of getting some Seachem Clarity?

Also, how often should I be testing for chemicals such as pH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc? How frequently should I be doing water changes and how much of the total tank volume (my tank is 52l). Thanks!
That cloudiness is a bacterial bloom. It's normal for a new set up and it will pass on its own.
It's best to avoid chemical solutions to tank issues. The only chemicals you should use are dechlorinator and fertilizer for places. And medications, but only when necessary.

Seachem Clarity is a flocculant; flocculants clump tiny bits together so they are big enough to be caught by the filter. Flocculants also tend to stick to fish's gills. And they rarely 'cure' a bacterial bloom.

How often should I be testing for chemicals such as pH, ammonia, nitrates, nitrites etc during a silent cycle? How frequently should I be doing water changes and how much of the total tank volume (my tank is 52l). Thanks!

I would test ammonia and nitrite every day for a few days after adding each batch of fish. Once you know they are staying at zero, you can stop testing till the next batch is added. This is just to be absolutely certain that the plants are taking up all the ammonia made by the fish.

If there are no fish yet, you don't need to do water changes. Once you have fish, 50% or more every week.

Plants take up ammonia and they don't turn it into nitrite. There will be a few bacteria growing in the tank and they will make a small amount of nitrite and nitrate. But compared to a tank with no live plants, the amount of nitrate being made in a planted tank is very very tiny. Many people believe the only reason for doing water changes is to remove nitrate. But water changes remove all the things excreted by the fish which bacteria and plants don't remove, and which build up in the water between water changes. Fresh new water also replenishes the minerals used up by the fish and plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back