Should I Treat My Tank For Snails?

Gazpug

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
183
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland, UK
Hello all,

A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my lighting in the tank in put some nice plants in. They where carrying some unwelcome guests which have populated my external cannister filter. There seems to be rather a lot of them in there. Is it essential that i get rid of these slimy beggers or can i just leave it.

Regards
Gaz
 
I would remove them for the filter in case they effect the flow. I see in your sig your have clown loaches, wouldnt they like to make a nice snack of them?
 
I would remove them for the filter in case they effect the flow. I see in your sig your have clown loaches, wouldnt they like to make a nice snack of them?

Yes my clowns in the past have feested on them but the problem is that they are really small at the moment so picking them out is not an option or i would be there all week lol.

I am going to have to go out and get some anti snail treatments.

anyone know any good treatments?

Regards

Gaz
 
Be careful of an ammonia spike if you do as dead snails rot pretty quick and can foul the water.

I would just scrape em off by hand & feed them to the loaches if I were you!
 
As long as you don`t overfeed your fish, the snail numbers should reduce to a level where you hardly notice them. Algae and rotting vegetation/detritus will support the remaining few, which will become a positive addition to your community when you consider what they are eating.

I don`t know why so many people hate these common snails that come with plants. Personally, I add them to any of my tanks that don`t have any.

Dave, the snail appreciater. :rolleyes:
 
honestly let your fish do there job. I would be careful with the meds also if yuor aquatics store will let you get some smaller loachs and the take them back or keep them, I just know loachs are best known for snail problems!
 
Snails will never be a problem reducing filter flow. lol. Don't know what made anyone think that. If there were enough they would become a decent filter media. lol

As per Dave. I add snails because they are a free algae eater, they also clean the substrate of food (and food content of poop etc) They clean the plants. Keep the top layer of sand moving around........and provide food for loaches.

If the population gets out of hand then you are feeding your clown too much. lol. Loaches love snails.

If you have any other fish that like a little fresh protein every now and again like Bettas then they will eat the jellied eggs once they have discovered the taste. Cichlids and plecs will also do this once they have discovered the taste.

Don't be afraid of snails as they do a great job for free and if there are too many just put a piece of cucumber or something on the substrate (put a small for through it and let it drop) or side of the tank (attach to sucker) and you can remove it covered with snails in the morning.

Andy
 
Snails will never be a problem reducing filter flow. lol. Don't know what made anyone think that. If there were enough they would become a decent filter media. lol

As per Dave. I add snails because they are a free algae eater, they also clean the substrate of food (and food content of poop etc) They clean the plants. Keep the top layer of sand moving around........and provide food for loaches.

If the population gets out of hand then you are feeding your clown too much. lol. Loaches love snails.

If you have any other fish that like a little fresh protein every now and again like Bettas then they will eat the jellied eggs once they have discovered the taste. Cichlids and plecs will also do this once they have discovered the taste.

Don't be afraid of snails as they do a great job for free and if there are too many just put a piece of cucumber or something on the substrate (put a small for through it and let it drop) or side of the tank (attach to sucker) and you can remove it covered with snails in the morning.

Andy

I am fine with having snails, I was just worried that they would cause a problem with my filter. I think it is good news that i dont have to treat the tank. I will leave them be now i know that the filter and media wont be affected by clogging etc.

Thanks for the advise

Gaz
 

Most reactions

Back
Top