Should I Toss The Tank?

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

vanvran

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi, I lost my first betta to either old age (3 years old) or a bacterial infection he couldn't fight. I bleached out everything (except gravel, which I tossed) and rinsed, rinsed, rinsed. Bought a new betta who came with a lump, diagnosed as lymphocystis, which he died from within 8 months but developed secondary infections of fin rot and possibly internal parasites. Anyway, I'm wondering if bleaching the tank is enough, snice lymphocystis is a virus and is contagious. Shoudl I toss the filter, heater, tank divider and tank? Thanks.

You dont need to toss everything. I would toss the filter media but no need to throw out the hardware. This can all be bleached and if left dry for a period then anything on it should die with nothing to live on.

You dont need to toss everything. I would toss the filter media but no need to throw out the hardware. This can all be bleached and if left dry for a period then anything on it should die with nothing to live on.

Thanks, is there a specific bleach amount or ratio? I think I remember seeing 3 parts water to 1 part bleach?

Thanks, is there a specific bleach amount or ratio? I think I remember seeing 3 parts water to 1 part bleach?

I would say thats way too much, you barely need any, just a one sec pour or so in a 1 gallon bucket is all I usually do, and that might even be too much. And just use an old washcloth or clean rag to scrub the tank and you can soak the filter parts and heater in the bucket :good:

I say with the bleach better to be safe then sorry, the more you put on the more thorough you need to rinse everything so only use what you need to

i believe the bleach ratio is 1/20
^^^^
Right on!
Just make sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse again. You can also (depending on the weather) set said equipment outside and let the sun dry it for 24 hours. That will get rid of any remaining bleach.

i believe the bleach ratio is 1/20
^^^^
Right on!
Just make sure to rinse, rinse, and rinse again. You can also (depending on the weather) set said equipment outside and let the sun dry it for 24 hours. That will get rid of any remaining bleach.

Ok, thanks, I did that when my last betta died to be on the safe side. I'll do it again.

also dechlorinator will help remove latent bleach. use about 4X the normal dose to fill the tank and then scrub with water dump rinse scrub rinse dump fill for fishies

also dechlorinator will help remove latent bleach. use about 4X the normal dose to fill the tank and then scrub with water dump rinse scrub rinse dump fill for fishies

Thanks, Torrean, good idea.

Most reactions

Back