April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Joshwainwright

I take my fish for walks
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm currently cycling my 125L tank without mature media using an internal U3 filter. I have a Fluval 205 external filter that I have used with previous tanks but I don't know if I want to risk modifying the hood of my new tank in order to accommodate the tubes.

I can't say I am any good at DIY so I don't know what to do.

What do you think?

The flaps on a 125 can easily be cut with a junior hacksaw plus the advantages of an external filter makes this question a no-brainer!
;)

Should I wait until my tank is cycled and I am less cautious with it? :lol:

Or should I just go for it and attack it with a saw? :p

Should I wait until my tank is cycled and I am less cautious with it? :lol:

Or should I just go for it and attack it with a saw? :p

The spare flap idea is good but you are only cutting a small square out of the one you have (or 2 circles if you want to be clever)

As far as waiting till the internal filter has cycled why not just transfer the media over once the external has been successfully fitted then the filter will just continue cycling the media.

Incidentally, how far into the cycle are you?

I'm only 3 days into the cycle :lol: (Yes, unfortunately I'm very impatient.)
I think I may run both at once until the cycle is complete?

I'm only 3 days into the cycle :lol: (Yes, unfortunately I'm very impatient.)
I think I may run both at once until the cycle is complete?

I wouldn't I would just get on with fitting the external.....3 days of a cycle? Nothing will have started yet so you will loose nothing.

If you run both filters together then all that will happen is the bacteria required to process the waste for a fully stocked 125 lt will be divided between the two filters. Once cycled if you remove one of the filters (ie the internal) then you will halve the bacteria level thus you will not be able to fully stock -_-

Alternatively, I could run both filters and after the cycle; move the media from the internal filter into a basket in my external. The internal filter isn't causing any problems so I don't see the need to rush getting rid of it. :)

I'm too scared to cut the hood :blush: :lol:

I'm too scared to cut the hood :blush: :lol:
Wussy! :lol:

Only kidding mate. It's not very hard at all. Have you done D&T at school? I am sure you have should have been tought how to cut round shapes on wood/plastic using hacksaws.

I did D&T in year 9 and dropped it because I hated it! :lol:

To be honest I don't need to cut much off as there is a little dip for wires and what not at the back. It's just growing the balls! :lol:

:lol: I don't think I'm that desperate to get the holes neat, I might go for it tomorrow :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back