Should I make almost all the floor space caves for my peacocks?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Should I keep all the caves or get rid of some to create more floor space?

• Keep all the caves

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get rid of some to make a bit more room

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

Rocky998

Kinda crazy, but somehow they let me stay
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So I was wondering... I am going to have peacock gudgeons as my bottom-mid dweller and I know they like lots of hiding spots... So should I keep with the rock set up I have now where almost everything is a cave? Or should I remove some parts of the rock decor?

I had a few caves and left the rest of the tank open or planted for mine. As long as the fish have 1 cave each they are fine. If you want a few caves that is fine too but too many caves makes it hard to keep track of the fish.

I had a few caves and left the rest of the tank open or planted for mine. As long as the fish have 1 cave each they are fine. If you want a few caves that is fine too but too many caves makes it hard to keep track of the fish.
Ok, thanks!

This is your tank and your adventure, do what you want to do. Don't ask for too much advise, mistakes are good. You will learn more if you make a few mistakes along the way.
Thanks.

I think in this situation you should do what you feel is best, as long as there's enough cover for them to hide when they want then it's up to your own creative abilities...have some fun with it and don't stress so much

I think in this situation you should do what you feel is best, as long as there's enough cover for them to hide when they want then it's up to your own creative abilities...
Thank you. I'll try to see what I can imagine with this thing...

Thank you. I'll try to see what I can imagine with this thing...
I like large cichlid tanks... Ya know why? There is no aquascape... Now I can appreciate the people that dont have any decor 😂

I like large cichlid tanks... Ya know why? There is no aquascape... Now I can appreciate the people that dont have any decor 😂
🤣 just imagine how awesome its going to look when your plants are in

okay, here's my input.

i am not an expert on any fish, including Peacock gudgeons

I've been able somehow create an environment where they feel safe to breed so I have about 30 fry. I tried to set the tank up so they would have plenty of shelters at "their" eye level. Which is where I do a lot of fish-watching when it comes to these fish! I've even seen a male and female in a cave together, and of course you won't know if a male is fanning eggs if you don't get down low.

They are actually not as shy as it would seem. sometimes I'll go over to the tank and they will peek around at me from their chill spot and, depending on if they are hungry, or maybe not if its a female with eggs, but often they will come over and engage with me.

Imagine you were them and how they would move and interact with one another and their environment. At their level.
I don't notice mine hanging out each in their own cave all alone. The caves are for the spawning and then for the male to tend the eggs until they can emerge. The main thing I've noticed in my tank is that they like to be partially hidden. Tucked in a plant, behind or between rocks, chillin' next to a bit of wood, maybe behind a cave. Or maybe in a cave...;)

Perhaps you are overthinking the whole "cave" thing.
Imagine in nature....it's not just cave cave cave cave cave

Have plants at all levels, but especially bottom to mid. Have a variety of hardscape, not just the rock-caves. Some nice chunk of wood, smooth round rocks. Try to think in terms of nooks and crannies, or different levels.
Don't forget free space! Swimming room with nothing there!

By the way, what kind of rocks are those in your tank? Are they sharp?
These fish are skittish and move in quick bursts. Imagine you got startled and at your eye level are these rocks,
you want to bolt but you really can't because they are everywhere, you're trapped!!
(You will have to widen your decor choices).

These are just my thoughts and how I went about setting up my tank.
let me know what you think.
you have great taste in fish, btw

okay, here's my input.

i am not an expert on any fish, including Peacock gudgeons

I've been able somehow create an environment where they feel safe to breed so I have about 30 fry. I tried to set the tank up so they would have plenty of shelters at "their" eye level. Which is where I do a lot of fish-watching when it comes to these fish! I've even seen a male and female in a cave together, and of course you won't know if a male is fanning eggs if you don't get down low.

They are actually not as shy as it would seem. sometimes I'll go over to the tank and they will peek around at me from their chill spot and, depending on if they are hungry, or maybe not if its a female with eggs, but often they will come over and engage with me.

Imagine you were them and how they would move and interact with one another and their environment. At their level.
I don't notice mine hanging out each in their own cave all alone. The caves are for the spawning and then for the male to tend the eggs until they can emerge. The main thing I've noticed in my tank is that they like to be partially hidden. Tucked in a plant, behind or between rocks, chillin' next to a bit of wood, maybe behind a cave. Or maybe in a cave...;)

Perhaps you are overthinking the whole "cave" thing.
Imagine in nature....it's not just cave cave cave cave cave

Have plants at all levels, but especially bottom to mid. Have a variety of hardscape, not just the rock-caves. Some nice chunk of wood, smooth round rocks. Try to think in terms of nooks and crannies, or different levels.
Don't forget free space! Swimming room with nothing there!

By the way, what kind of rocks are those in your tank? Are they sharp?
These fish are skittish and move in quick bursts. Imagine you got startled and at your eye level are these rocks,
you want to bolt but you really can't because they are everywhere, you're trapped!!
(You will have to widen your decor choices).

These are just my thoughts and how I went about setting up my tank.
let me know what you think.
you have great taste in fish, btw
Thank you for all your input! These rocks are called dragon rock or ohko stone. I may try to get other pieces of wood but idk... I try to have free swimming space but my tank is super small (24"×12"×16"). Also, thanks! Peacock gudgeons are definitely an overlooked beginner fish! To me that are a dream fish. Their small, colorful, peaceful, and seem personable!

Thank you for all your input! These rocks are called dragon rock or ohko stone. I may try to get other pieces of wood but idk... I try to have free swimming space but my tank is super small (24"×12"×16"). Also, thanks! Peacock gudgeons are definitely an overlooked beginner fish! To me that are a dream fish. Their small, colorful, peaceful, and seem personable!
How many were you planning on getting?
I'm sorry but maybe you need a bigger tank.
I just looked at the picture...how many gallons is your tank?

If they are your dream fish you need to dream big!

How many were you planning on getting?
I'm sorry but maybe you need a bigger tank.
I just looked at the picture...how many gallons is your tank?

If they are your dream fish you need to dream big!
Its a 20 gallon high.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back