Should I get shrimp?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

biofish

Fish Addict
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
Hello fish fam! My sister wanted my empty 10 gallon tank for her room (the grass cracked but i siliconed it so the tank is perfectly usable and I was just keeping it as an emergency tank) and we were taking about what fish she would want.

And then the topic of shrimp came up and I realized I’ve never had shrimp. What do shrimp do exactly? I have cories and snails so is there any perk of having shrimp even with those combos? My tanks are half pebble half sand substrate

And while I’m at it, how many snails would y’all recommend per 10 gallon? I have 3-4 in my 20 and 29 gallon and they keep the algae at okay levels but I was thinking of getting a couple more per tank.

If you're interested in shrimps, try cherry shrimps. They're a good beginner shrimp to keep. Easy to feed and easy to breed. If you're interested in breeding, then you should have a dedicated tank just for shrimps only. For the most part, shrimps will just forage for food. They do best in a planted tank.

Nope! Not interested in breeding. Got my hands full with guppy babies and only guppy babies 💀

But I’ll keep Cherry Shrimp in mind

Another shrimp you can try are Amano shrimps. Not as colorful as cherries, but are good algae eaters. Another plus for you is that they're not easy to breed. While they can breed in freshwater, the zoas can't survive. They need brackish water to live.

Also what’s the OP banner in my profile pic 🤣
Have i been deemed an over powered fish owner? (Pssst. Most of the time I have no idea what I doing 🤣)

Ohhhh I’ll definitely have to look into Amano shrimp. Lord knows I’ve got more than enough algae to go around.

Also what’s the OP banner in my profile pic 🤣
Have i been deemed an over powered fish owner? (Pssst. Most of the time I have no idea what I doing 🤣)

Ohhhh I’ll definitely have to look into Amano shrimp. Lord knows I’ve got more than enough algae to go around.
You're the original poster :)

🥲

So I’m not overpowered? Pffft. They underestimate me.
lotr-lord-of-the-rings.gif

Shrimp will be fine with snails and pygmy cories.

As @Crispii said, shrimp do whatever shrimp do. Mainly wander around the tank looking for food. If there is lots of food, they breed. It's not a problem if they do breed because most pet shops will buy shrimp from customers, so you can sell excess stock.

As for how many snails can go in a tank, it depends on the type of snail. You could have 3 or 4 Mystery/ Apple snails in a 10 gallon tank. Or 20 Ramshorn snails. 1 assassin snail would kill all the other snails in a tank. Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails are a pain in the butt and should be avoided.

Nope! Not interested in breeding. Got my hands full with guppy babies and only guppy babies 💀

But I’ll keep Cherry Shrimp in mind
put guppy baby with shrimp baby, guppy baby eat shrimp baby
better fish less shrimp

the tank params also have to be very stable as inverts do not like unstable params i think

Shrimp will be fine with snails and pygmy cories.

As @Crispii said, shrimp do whatever shrimp do. Mainly wander around the tank looking for food. If there is lots of food, they breed. It's not a problem if they do breed because most pet shops will buy shrimp from customers, so you can sell excess stock.

As for how many snails can go in a tank, it depends on the type of snail. You could have 3 or 4 Mystery/ Apple snails in a 10 gallon tank. Or 20 Ramshorn snails. 1 assassin snail would kill all the other snails in a tank. Malaysian trumpet/ livebearing snails are a pain in the butt and should be avoided.
I ended up just doing snails because my tanks are overstocked with guppies (the vast majority of which are too young to sell). Figured those weren’t the greatest conditions to have shrimp in 😅.

I ended up referencing this chart for my snail counts
ED8DA80F-2D01-41FB-A764-556A77381ED3.png

I ended up just doing snails because my tanks are overstocked with guppies (the vast majority of which are too young to sell). Figured those weren’t the greatest conditions to have shrimp in 😅.

I ended up referencing this chart for my snail counts View attachment 152830
tbh id cut that in half since some nerites actually do get big
i got 3 that are like 1+ inch in diameter and they lay tons of eggs :(

tbh id cut that in half since some nerites actually do get big
i got 3 that are like 1+ inch in diameter and they lay tons of eggs :(
Ughhh tell me about it. I have a female snail in my 29 gallon and it’s horrible. I use a kitchen scraper to quickly get the eggs off but they still leave a white residue in the glass. But my 29 gallon also has the worst algae problem and I’m tired of scrubbing the tank 💀 it’s in the darkest corner of my room away from the sunlight but the algae war is real.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back