What's new

Should I Get My Rabbits Neutered?

Liv15

Reaction score
I have 5 rabbits, 1 is my house bunny and the others are outdoors. My house bunny is male and will be 3 in September this year. He has also been bred before.

The outdoor bunnies: 2 females are living in the same hutch (they are mother and daughter), both have been bred before. Their ages are 3½ and 5.

The two other outdoor bunnies are male and female (living separately). The female is 4 and has been bred before. The male is 1 and has never been bred.

I would like to get as many as possible neutered, but in particular - my house bunny, the 4 year old female, and the 1 year old male.

Please could I have some advice on getting them neutered at these ages - I know it is more risky for the females at those ages. Also it would be good for the 3½ year old & the 5 year old mother & daughter rabbits who live together to be spayed, but I'm worried that the 5 year old will be too bit risky :/

Just ask if you need any more info on any of them. Thanks :)

fluttermoth

The current Mrs Treguard ;)
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I'd do all the bucks; it's cheaper and safer to get males castrated than females spayed and, if all your males are done, it won't matter if your does are entire.

Reaction score
I would do your males. Then you dont have to worry about your females having more babies.

Freedom

Reaction score
I don't have any experience with rabbits.  Are you part of a rabbit forum?  I think you would get lots of good input on such a forum.

I am on so many forums -- dogs, bichon breed, cats, fish, Prius (for my car) -- I am sold on the benefits of talking with folks with similar issues!

OP
Liv15

Liv15

Reaction score
Okay, thank you to everyone for the advice :) I think I will get the bucks done and all of the females have been bred so they are less likely to develop any reproductive cancers so I won't bother with them. Although, I think I may get the 4 year old doe spayed as she keeps having phantom pregnancies which are causing her stress :/