Should I Breed Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

92cw12

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i have a male called ace he is a veiltail and a female that could be a halfmoon .
note the picture was taken 1 month ago when i got him. now he is bigger and his fins have healed.
i decided to mock breed but know he really wants to get her she seems full of eggs.
i have space for 5o males and about 100 females should i breed them

Attachments

• Picture_009.jpg
    Picture_009.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 49
hmmm, I wouldn't, its not smart to breed pet store bettas, especially vts, they're from unknown lines and very hard to find home for. But if you have homes lined up for all of the babies, and know what you're going to do with them they give it a shot.

Did you notice that the fish are two different tail types, one of which is unknown?

Oh well, some think that the breed should be improved rather than "mutted". There is a school of thought that believes that, with all the fish in cups being left to die on lfs shelves, responsible breeders will research and have a plan before they increase the unsellable Betta supply. Even the USPCA advises neutering dogs and cats. It is discouraged among most knowledgeable and responsible groups to indiscriminately breed animals.

Start a thread and see the responses you get.

I am not against mutts--my dog is a mixed breed (Yorkie and Dachshound). But I agree with those who say there are plenty of unwanted animals being "culled" and that breeders should be responsible. There are fish that are easy to breed and easy to place that don't lay hundreds of eggs per spawn and with fry that are easy to raise.

I have cory fry and would be willing to rear some appistos and other easy to home fish. But 500 potential babies is over my limit.

I don't encourage barely adolescent boys to breed their pets.

Why does -everyone- seem so desperate to spawn? Gosh, if you're really looking to breed at least get a nice pair off aquabid and get all your materials. Eggbound females and flaring males aren't all you need don't you understand that? You've been trying to tell us you're trying to breed them for like how long now? 2 months? Why don't you just do some research first. You obviously don't really know a lot about bettas "a female that could be a halfmoon" Why breed them if you don't know what they are. For heavens sake don't you care if you end up with 500 babies you don't want?

Adolescent hormones. Do you know how often a teenage boy thinks about sex? :blush:

Got Me! :p

Glad to see a responsible teen that gets it. :good:

<<Actually, I have seen lots of responsible teens, Wisperian.>>

There seems to be one of these threads on an average every 5 days or so. Speaking as an outsider, somebody who has kept but never bred bettas, it seems to me that there are certain very specific problems with betta breeding that does not affect some other common species:

they need special care before and during the mating procedure

they have vast numbers of fry

these fry need very special care (not like my bristlenose fry, whose care consists in bunging in a slice of cucumber once a day and occasional water changes)

the fry cannot be sold until they are comparatively mature (not like guppy or bristlenose fry)

before this happens, the male fry will need to be separated into individual containers- space, outlay, and lots of hard slog with water changes

given the need for separate containers, it is unlikely that you will find an lfs willing to take more than a very few males; what to do with the rest? (this is different from say dwarf plecs, where they can easily take and sell a whole batch)

it is well known that many bogstandard bettas face a cruel and uncertain future, being kept in unsuitable containers by owners who do not know how to care for them

The analogy with cats and dogs is a good one- most responsible people would not let an unneutered common tabby out, since it is so difficult to find good homes for the resulting kittens.

Given this, I find it hard to understand why so many betta owners are desperate to breed, while several less problematic species are expensive or hard to find in the shops because nobody cares to breed them. Of course, there is a greater interest in watching the breeding process of bettas than in watching guppies, but there are lots of species that do have interesting mating habits, but not so many of the problems of the bettas. Why aren't more people breeding clown plecs, red whiptails, leopard frogs, peacock gobies, sparkling gouramis, or - for those of you who really want a challenge- khuulie loaches?

i reckon it might be a veiltail female or a halfmoon . well its colour is navy blue it might even be a melano because it is fairly dark.
also im a teenage boy (13) and i dont think of sex 24 7

99%, the female is a VT.

If you want to breed, then why not actually breed a nice pair which will produce desirable fry? Most fry produced from VT mutts of unknown lineage look awful, and very few people will want to buy them. Considering LFS's only get through 5 or so males and a dozen females every delivery, that really isn't an option.

pictures of the female sorry there a bit crap

Attachments

• Picture_019.jpg
    Picture_019.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 47
  • Picture_018.jpg
    Picture_018.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 44
Sorry, I offended you.

So then why are you in such a hurry to breed your Bettas? You really have your answer regarding breeding average lfs Bettas. We all love our VTs but, again, Bettas are very hard and expensive to breed and there is not the market for them. Most who breed their Bettas lose money and have trouble placing them all. There are usually a few special needs offspring that must be culled or kept. Even wuvmybetta who is very experienced (she's the mod) has repeatedly said she loses money breeding Bettas. Lots of money. She has a major fish room stacked with Betta jars. But as OohFreeshy said, if you must do this then invest in a major breeding pair. That will cost you about $20 or $30 minimum, unless you can pick up some from a breeder on here.

In addition read everything you can on breeding Bettas and raising Betta fry. In all honesty, we are trying to discourage you from this enterprise, because we feel you are unprepared. Most of us believe that you would be better off starting your breeding with a less complicated, easier to raise and sell, fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back