Should I add neons?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Tempestuousfury

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
I've got a ten gallon tank that has a disease in it, but can I add neon tetras in later?

I've got three goldfish, two black tetras, two silver dollars, one pleco.

I'm planning on treating the tank, removing the goldfish, removing the pleco, and putting the zebra danios back in.

So in the end, I'll have:
A ten gallon w/o diseases
Two black tetras,
Two Silver Dollars,
Five Zebra Danios,
and perhaps a few corys

Any suggestions?

I would take the goldfish back to the Fish store. All goldfish grow over a foot long and need at least a 30 gallon aquariam for 1. I would also take back the silver dollars. they can grow a fair size themselves, and will harass or even kill your other fish, they also like being in schools. you should also buy at least four more black tetras (very slowly though, don't add them all at once). All Tetras are schooling fish and like to be in groups of 6-10.
As for the Neon tetras. they are very shy but peaceful fish. If your tank had Just the black skirts and a few corys and your Zebra danios, it would still be too much. a rule of thumb (though it only works for fish under 2") is once inch of fish per gallon( make sure you include the fish's adult sixe, not the size you buy them at). black tetras ( I assume you mean black skirts) get to about 2", so 2 of them is four, plus your danios, that's 9 inchs, plus a 6 tetra school of neons, thats 15 inchs. too much. But, if you did weekly 25% water changes and also bought a bigger filter (at least 100 gallons per hour) then you could add the tetras and the corrys.
Sorry to bring all this bad news, but a 10 gallon tank is quite small and requires delecate stocking. don't give up though :)

Thanks. I'm trying to persuade my brother to lend me some money and trying to get a job. If that turns out, I can get a 20 or 29 gallon...
I do 25% changes for both tanks anyways. My dad bought the silver dollars, and I wouldn't have had them in there anyways. But if I have the six skirts, 5 danios, and three corys, will that do?
And also, seeing as how the neons are so small, isn't it possible to put more fish in if:
More frequent water changes are made
The corys swim at different levels and should therefore count somewhat differently
If the pH and hardness are good (still have to take it to a lfs to get it checked...) I hear I can add more

Getting the neons in was just something I wanted to try, I'm not going to stress the fish by adding them. Thanks for the input.

New developments!

I'm getting a fully equipped 50 gallon for free!

I plan on putting in:
5 danios
6 black skirt tetras
2 silver dollars (very shy and placid)
1 plectosomus
3 cories
6 neon tetras?

What do you think?

That will be fine, except for the pleco, they grow up to two feet long. if you want a pleco, ask your LFS dealer for a Bristle nose or Ansistris pleco, they stay very small.
Other than that, the tank is very well stocked, you could even put in another few shools of tetras or some livebearers if you wanted.

I'm not sure if the pleco grew since I got it, but it's about 5-6 inches and sucks on the other fish's bodies from time to time. I give him algae discs and he comes to the surface for food.

You are right, though. I should give him away. But I'm really attached to my fish and can't find people to take them.

A plec sucking on other fish? I've never heard of that before, sounds more like something a chinese algae eater would do. Anyways, I agree with FrankSlapperinni about it.

I suggest you get more cories than just three. Cories are shoalers and prefer a group of 6 or more. In a 50 gal you'll have plenty of room for them.

The silver dollars are shoalers too. The reason yours are shy is probably that you only have two of them. If they are kept in a larger group they'll be less shy.

Other than that, your plans for the 50 gal tank seem fine. You could get a few more of the neons and black skirts, or even the zebras. Perhaps something like 10 each?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back