Shipping fish with a short delay.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
Today I was messaged that the fish I've shipped to Italy have arrived safely with just one day of delay. Someone from Italy had purchased 7 different livebearer species from me. I've send it by UPS. They were meant to arrive on thursday but he received them today. Only 1 male of the black chins passed. All others were just fine. I always ask a client to give me a feedback when those fish have arrived. But UPS made some different remarks when the parcel would arrive on destination. I was almost scared that those fish would be delivered on monday. But they were packed the right way and they were in breathings bags (which is the best way to ship them in my opinion), which would make them last till next week without any problems.
The delay happened in a facility in Germany.
Next week a parcel with a number of endler strains will be sent to France.

That is impressive given the distance involved and covid restrictions :)

Wow! How many days would it take to ship a fish to California, US? And also is it safe for fish to travel that long? I’m only asking out of curiosity 😄

That is impressive given the distance involved and covid restrictions :)
The covid restrictions international can be a burden. But that's also something I do tell people to consider that. There's always a risk that a shipment of live fish can get lost, seized by customs or most worse, that they'll won't arrive alive on destination.
Well, I've send them on tuesday and the parcel was delivered on friday instead of thursday.
Wow! How many days would it take to ship a fish to California, US? And also is it safe for fish to travel that long? I’m only asking out of curiosity 😄
Well, from Holland to California may take 5 days till 2 weeks. That does differ. But it's not cheap shipping fish on such a distance.
It depends on how you will pack those fish, wether a long trip will be safe for those fish or not. I use breathing bags instead of regular bags. That may increase the size of the parcel (which makes the shipping costs less) and it's less stressful while shipping. And if they have to be bagged for a long time before delivery, I do prefer breathings instead of regular bags. For they can use the oxygen that's in the parcel which lasts much longer than the oxygen in a regular bag.

2weeks would be so tough on the fish!!! Wow.. thanks for the info!
Well, that's why I prefer to send them in breathing bags instead of regular bags. In breathing bags, they should even be okay if they'd stay in there for three weeks. But of course, while shipping them, we'll go for the shortest time if possible.

Most reactions

Back