Shiny scales ir patches near the betta gills

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Vijayanaishadam

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have had my betta since 4 months and he was a very active guy until 3 days ago. Suddenly he felt so lethargic and is not moving from the bottom of tank. He is not at all active and I sense some breathing issues while being at the bottom. He has some shiny silver patches formed near gills too. He is in a 5g tank and has filter along with heater. Will check on water condition today. 2 days back I took him to pet smart and they were unable to diagnose the cause. Help me guys
20200701_115715.jpg
20200701_100428.jpg
20200701_014915.jpg
20200701_115715.jpg

Ammonia burn.
Check your water parameter maybe your Ammonia is about 1 ppm or even more.
Change 50% of water immediately if you found ammonia in the water.
Good luck.

Do you have a picture of the fish before he developed the marks on his gill covers?

It looks a bit like a bacterial infection but I have never seen the glow bettas before so the colours are confusing the issue a bit.

20200702_175352.jpg
20200702_104530.jpg
20200702_101040.jpg
Hi, I have pictures way back when I brought him home... since then he changed a lot and due to not having phone backup I lost many of my pictures. I am attaching a few here for reference and am attaching a video link that I just took since I feel this is new in him today. He has been breathing heavily lately and I'm so panicked what to do. Does it seem like body rot?
Video link:
Screenshot_20200702-175809_Instagram.jpg
Please help us guys.

I can't tell anything from the pictures so I will say use salt and water changes and see if it helps.

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for a week or two.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

-----------------
You can add rock salt (often sold as aquarium salt), sea salt or swimming pool salt to the aquarium at the dose rate of 2 heaped tablespoon per 20 litres of water.

Keep the salt level like this for at least 2 weeks but no longer than 4 weeks otherwise kidney damage can occur. Kidney damage is more likely to occur in fish from soft water (tetras, Corydoras, angelfish, gouramis, loaches) that are exposed to high levels of salt for an extended period of time, and is not an issue with livebearers, rainbowfish or other salt tolerant species.

The salt will not affect the beneficial filter bacteria, plants, shrimp or snails.

After you use salt and the fish have recovered, you do a 10% water change each day for a week using only fresh water that has been dechlorinated. Then do a 20% water change each day for a week. Then you can do bigger water changes after that. This dilutes the salt out of the tank slowly so it doesn't harm the fish.

If you do water changes while using salt, you need to treat the new water with salt before adding it to the tank. This will keep the salt level stable in the tank and minimise stress on the fish.

Thank you, I will definitely follow this. I'm now more concerned of the heavy breathing it is doing all day. I find almost 0 forums on glofish betta which makes me feel that I shouldn't have encouraged a lab created betta l. I got attached to him the moment when we went to purchase a normal betta fish. I will do anything to make him better again.

Heavy breathing can be caused by poor water quality, gill fungus, gill bacteria or gill flukes. The salt will treat most of them, and it will treat minor bacterial, fungal and protozoan infections on the body. So it's kind of an all purpose treatment that is safer than most chemicals and treats a wide variety of things. However, it doesn't treat everything so the fish could still die.

Big daily water changes and gravel cleans will help dilute any disease organisms in the tank and dilute anything in the water that might be contributing to this.

The combination of water changes and salt usually helps most fish.

Hi colin, thanks for the suggestions I'll try the methods you suggested. He did not eat anything whole today. He was atleast eating a tiny bit till yesterday. I guess this may be beacuse of gill fungus stuff. I'll try treating him with salt bath and will update the results.

Most reactions

trending

Back