Shell Dweller Journal

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Unlucky with the ocellatus :( , multis would be good.

I was lucky i got my 4 from a localish breeder and importer, check out the link on the other page i gave, all his tanks were immaculate! Anyway two of the fish have already paired off or re-paired i think, the femal has moved her shell rite next to the males shell. However i have still not seen the other female, but they completly dissapere when they go into their shells.

Im getting a bit worried about one of the females, i have seen both the males and one of the females, out and about but the second female is no where to be seen :crazy: , i dont know i will tomorrow she mite still be feeling abit stressed

Im getting a bit worried about one of the females, i have seen both the males and one of the females, out and about but the second female is no where to be seen , i dont know i will tomorrow she mite still be feeling abit stressed

just chill for a bit, the fish have been shocked terribly today, give them some time to settle in, IME all the different kinds fish I have had take a day or two to start acting like normal, must adjust to your tank and water conditions

She probably just needs some time to settle in. When I got my multies is was about a week before I saw the male venture over to the other side of the tank and even longer before I saw the femal over there. The female spent several days not moving more than an inch from her shell. I also worried because they didn't seem to be eating but their appetite eventually came around.

Congrats on finally getting your fish! :clap:

I had a very difficult time finding mine too and ended up driving nearly 200 miles (round trip) to get them from a breeder. I've never regretted it - they have been well worth the trouble.

thanks guys.

Yeh still no sign of anyone today lol, the shells have moved around a lot thou and the couple of boodworm i put in yesterday has all gone. The temp has been fluctuating abit thanks to the Juwel heater crapness, but i hope i have fixed the problem!

i traded in my ocell's at my lfs and got 4 multies instead and have them in my tank now, just got everything set up after about 3 hours of working on it (sand got clouded up and whatnot) anyway i can see 3 of them chillin out by their shells and stuff but i can't find the 4th.....i saw it swimming around a shell but cannot see it in there......not saying that this is the case but do they ever get stuck in shells?

Mine have been in the tank for about 7-8 months and still dart into the shells when i go near the tank.It`s just instinct.I usually just sneak up on the tank and drop in some food,stay very still and can watch them for ages.If one is staying in a shell all the time,it may be guarding eggs.Keep an eye out for fry.

I have 6 L. stappersi in a 30g and they are skittish but they do come out of their shells once they feel safe and secure. Some of them are more aggressive though and will try to stare me down with displays. Fish have different personalities and the female that keeps hiding just sounds like an especially shy one. Give her a week or two to get used to the new environment and she should be fine.

Good luck with your shellies Caino, once they settle you will enjoy every minute you spend watching them. I have mine in a community and the defence of their territory is endlessly interesting and funny.

lol thanks for all the replies, the two males are becoming abit more adventurous now, i can stand outside door and watch, but the moment i step in they dissapere. I am amased how good thier aim is lol!

i just sit infront of the tank for a while once and a while to keep them used to me and others.it works ok.

Hello again, i have decided to resurface after countless exams, work, and much stress :hyper: , but its all over now!!!!!!!!!

Again sorry for not keeping you up to date with progress in my new shell dweller tank i dissapered of the face of the planet for a while, but i am back now.

Unfortuanatly i lost 1 female to unknown causes :sad: leaving me with 1 female and 2 males, but about 2 weeks after the loss 10 mini brevis appeared at the front of the tank, i looked after them as best i could and 5 remain, and are rapidly growing and feeding well :good: .

i am also waging war with a big blanket of green algae/slime thats likes to grow over the bottom and shells, most depressing i have to peel it off twice a week with my net :crazy: but i am determind to win.

thanks for reading and the advice you have all given to me

Tom

Welcome back.

The algae issue was something I suffered when I had my shell dwellers, mine was a case of BGA (blue green algae) which isn't an algae at all.

Congrats on the fry, how big are they now?

Thanks Jay,

the babies range from about 1/4" - 1/2" now i no mine isnt algea its a growth, like i said i can peel it off its so thick lol

Most reactions

trending

Back