Share Your Desert Gobys!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

VickyChaiTea

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, I have recently found out about Desert Gobys and... I want them! Eventually! Specifically C. eremius or C. squamigenus. I've already done some reading about these remarkable fish but I'd like to hear about your experiences with them. And photos!

Do they readily accept dry foods or are they really that picky? (I'd feed mine frozen/live only, but I'm still curious)
Are they territorial with other fish or just their own genus?
Are they pretty much guaranteed to breed?
Since I only like the idea of starting biotopes... would threadfin rainbowfish (Iriantheria werneri) be an acceptable tank mate? Any other biotope compatable tank mates?

And please... post your pictures! :D

Hi, I had two desert gobies a few years ago, absolutley amazing fish,  real characters, they eat pretty much anything u put in the tank, fed mine nls pellets and tetra prima, with the occasional frozen bloodworms, I had a male and female and really wanted them to breed but had no luck, they work fine in a community tank, I got mine off a local breeder, the only downside is they only have a lifespan of about 1 and a half to 2 years,  mine lived for about 18 months, Im desperate to get some more and have been looking for ages but they are really rare, especially here in the UK,   hope u find some.
Heres a pic of mine
016_zpse8d6725f.jpg

Ive always assumed gobies looked like rocks or something ( never seen one before ! ) but the pic above my post is a beauty. :D

TallTree01 said:
Ive always assumed gobies looked like rocks or something ( never seen one before ! ) but the pic above my post is a beauty.
biggrin.png
ha, cheers matey, there really cute sort of looking fish, shame there so rare, would love to get some more.

These are relatively readily available in Australia and they're a gorgeous fish. I don't know if they would be found with thread in rainbows though.

My university (I'm studying marine/freshwater biology) did a study on these fish that found when there a plenty of females around males will be far more picky about who they pair with, but if there are fewer females he'll go for pretty much the first one he meets.

TooManyChoices said:
These
are relatively readily available in Australia and they're a gorgeous
fish. I don't know if they would be found with thread in rainbows
though.

My university (I'm studying marine/freshwater biology)
did a study on these fish that found when there a plenty of females
around males will be far more picky about who they pair with, but if
there are fewer females he'll go for pretty much the first one he meets.
Ah!
I completely forgot they were from Australia so... no wild caught
specimens being exported correct? Not that I'd LIKE wild caught it just
means they're harder to find. Thank you for the info about breeding,
that's good to know.

pauloblade said:
Hi,
I had two desert gobies a few years ago, absolutley amazing fish,  real
characters, they eat pretty much anything u put in the tank, fed mine
nls pellets and tetra prima, with the occasional frozen bloodworms, I
had a male and female and really wanted them to breed but had no luck,
they work fine in a community tank, I got mine off a local breeder, the
only downside is they only have a lifespan of about 1 and a half to 2
years,  mine lived for about 18 months, Im desperate to get some more
and have been looking for ages but they are really rare, especially here
in the UK

Yeah, their short lifespan is almost enough to make me not bother with them but... they're so neat! Your male looks like he was nice and healthy.

Most reactions

Back