Sewellia Lineolata Anyone No Anything About Them?

Hillstream Loach max around 2.5 inches,
Inhabit fast flowing streams over boulders. Aquarium must duplicate these conditions as fish have very high oxygen requirements. kept at 20-23c...i have read of people over on the loach forum that keep them with plecs and corys
 
well the list i am thinking of is

2x Rainbow cichlids
2x Bristlenose pleco
6x Leopard corydoras
3 x Swordtails
6 x colombian tetras
5 x platys
8 x tiger barbs
6 x leopard or zebra danios
6 x praecox rainbows

could i keep them with this list?
 
well the list i am thinking of is

2x Rainbow cichlids
2x Bristlenose pleco
6x Leopard corydoras
3 x Swordtails
6 x colombian tetras
5 x platys
8 x tiger barbs
6 x leopard or zebra danios
6 x praecox rainbows

could i keep them with this list?

I would not.

They require colder water and high water flow. A few of those fish will not do well in high flow, and most of the fish on your list need warmer water.

Generally, the hillstream loaches are recommended to be kept in species tanks, perhaps with some dither fish like danios or rasboras. Lower 20Cs for water temp, and about as much flow as you can make.
 
I spawn mine in slow moving water at 78 degrees F. Balitorids are some of the most misunderstood fish. They are perfectly content in water that falls anywhere in the 70's. Gastromyzon, pseudos, and a lot of the homaloptera tend to prefer it somewhere in the lower range of these temperatures, whereas sewellia, beaufortia, etc. like it somewhat higher. The main issue is food availability. They can be tough to wean at first. If you removed the cichlids, the aforementioned community would be perfect for them.
 
I spawn mine in slow moving water at 78 degrees F. Balitorids are some of the most misunderstood fish. They are perfectly content in water that falls anywhere in the 70's. Gastromyzon, pseudos, and a lot of the homaloptera tend to prefer it somewhere in the lower range of these temperatures, whereas sewellia, beaufortia, etc. like it somewhat higher. The main issue is food availability. They can be tough to wean at first. If you removed the cichlids, the aforementioned community would be perfect for them.
I've got one in my community tank with cory's, otos, a couple of clown loaches, a rtbs and a pair of Bolivian Rams. The temp is usually at 25°C, (though has risen much higher on hot days), I've added an airstone to help oxygen levels and my filter is turned up to max.

Lovely looking fish that has a very rigid habits - always to be seen out and about at the same times, always travels around the outside of my tank anticlockwise first, then back clockwise, then disappears again for a while, then repeats several times. None of the other fish seem to notice him and until he decides he wants the piece of food they are eating and then he flops on top of them and will do this continuously until they give up and move away. I heard they like to rest on smooth stones so I added a few but he rarely vists these, being constantly on the move when out and about and spending most of his quiet time under my filter.

I don't have any problems with feeding - he seems to like the Hikari sinking wafers and algae wafers that the corys and clowns go for, as well as frozen brine shrimp.
 
always travels around the outside of my tank anticlockwise first, then back clockwise, then disappears again for a while

haha lol! i really would love to have them in my tank how many do you have?
 
always travels around the outside of my tank anticlockwise first, then back clockwise, then disappears again for a while

haha lol! i really would love to have them in my tank how many do you have?
Just the one and he's a real creature of habit...you really could set your clock by him! I think as Jonathangerous said, they may be a little misunderstood. I believe the key ingredient your tank should have is well oxygenated water. The temperature is not as critical as is often stated - I think this all comes from the fact that, all other things being equal, cooler water will tend to contain more oxygen, but after adding the air stone my water is now fully saturated. Well, he's never looked distressed at all and I've had him a few months now, so I guess all is well. Doesn't really interact/play with the other fish, so not sure if a pair would be better....would need to read up on how they get on with their own kind before considering that.

Having said all that, I'm still a fish novice and may just have been lucky with my hillstream, so listen to the experts here (or google around) before following me!
 
went fish hunting today ready for my eagly awaited trip to the fish shop to start stocking my tank! and found some of these little guys they look great in the flesh and swim really really fast ! lol 3 for £20 as well witch i don't think is to bad for such a cool looking fish! they had the cory's i want as well so I'm well chuffed just can't wait to get back from my holiday lol!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top