Severe Betta Illness - Medication Not Helping

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

He is a marble! that colour change is definitely not a sign of illness
smile.png
he is very pretty too, I had a young marble that was constantly changing colour as a youngster so it seems odd your fish has started doing this now, how long have you had him again? where did you get him from? it may just be he has changed colour many times before you got him and had a rest before changing again? they are all different though so there is no telling what they may do! as for dechlorinating new tap water it is good practice that you do depending on the area you live in some water boards add more chlorine to their water and other nasty stuff that is toxic to fish, dechlorinating water does not do the fish any harm where as not dechlorinating may, it really depends how much is present in your water source and without that information I will always dechlorinate, Prime is the best a little amount goes a long way.

OK... You have a weird betta XD He's definitely a marble now I see what he looks like now but they usually change constantly... As you can see from the change in Gandor. I agree that it is weird that he's just started now... Maybe he had marble genes that were recessive and something has triggered them to pop out?

And I don't de-chlorinate. I never said it would harm the fish if you did and I never said it definitely won't harm the fish if you don't. I just said it doesn't harm mine as we know someone who works with the council and they don't put anything nasty in the water and very tiny amounts of Chlorine if any at times. Obviously if they ever raise the amount of Chlorine or start adding stuff, I'll start de-chlorinating.

@betta fish: I've had him for a good six months or so, and he has never ever changed colour before this last month. I think when I first picked him up from the LFS (maidenhead aquatics, located at Beverley Garden Centre, East Yorkshire), he was fairly immature, but no one mentioned anything about colour changes then.

So does the colour change process normally take this long? I understand that marbles change colour often and rapidly, but do they ever do it infrequently and slowly?

I guess they can yes, as your fish has proved
smile.png
I think when they get older it does slow down it usually happens a lot more frequently when they are young, it is difficult to gauge the fishes age when bought from an lfs and they are usually several months old by the time they are bought, the lfs probably didn't have him that long so wasn't aware of the colour changes but somebody did know him when he was younger
smile.png
I know when my marbles turned older the colours stopped changing so much, it would be interesting to see more pics as the colouration progresses, he may lose his blue colouration completely and turn white with red! who knows
smile.png
that's the great thing about marbles
smile.png

In terms of lighting I have mine on for 4 hours, off for 1 hour, then on for 4 hours - I was advised this will assist with algae problems.  All my aquariums are on timers so this happens automatically.  Also, if you can get an Indian Almond Leaf they are good to have in the aquarium for Bettas, I tend to buy mine in bulk on-line but you can get them local to you, they are just more expensive. 

In respect to your Edge, what sort of lighting does it have?  Halogen or LED's?

Fish looks great, a bit of a mystery as to what colour he will go next
hehe.gif

He is a beauty, and glad to hear that it was just him growing into his colours :good: 

In regards to not de-chlorinating water, I personally wouldn't risk not adding it. Water quality is very different in different areas of the country, so just because the water source in one county is low in chlorine/other harmful additives doesn't mean it'll be the case for other areas under management from different companies. Better safe than sorry!

Flute said:
He is a beauty, and glad to hear that it was just him growing into his colours
good.gif

In regards to not de-chlorinating water, I personally wouldn't risk not adding it. Water quality is very different in different areas of the country, so just because the water source in one county is low in chlorine/other harmful additives doesn't mean it'll be the case for other areas under management from different companies. Better safe than sorry!

I'm not saying they don't de-chlorinate the water, just saying it works for me :) I'd never say "Oh well de-chlorinator isn't needed round my area so you shouldn't need it either" because I know different area's have different water :) So for the record, here is me saying this.
I would recommend you keep adding de-chlorinator as your fish are used to it and all area's have different water :)

Read through this topic, I'm relieved that he turned out to be fine! 

@Betta Fish
I'll keep you all updated with photos if I can.

@RCA
I'm using oak leaves at the moment, as I understand they have a similar effect to almond leaves, without being quite as big. My fluval came with halogens, but I upgraded to LEDs.

Re: Almond leaves I tend to cut mine in half for the smaller aquariums, but will look into Oak Leaves sometime too.

Glad you have the LED's they are a lot better that the halogens that only give a spot light.

When researching marbles I came across this http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=1114, fascinating, never thought of having a marble but looks like they are a bit of an adventue.  Thanks for offering to keep posting pics as keen to know what next.

I love my Bettas and this is one of my newer ones, now have two 3 month old girls in Quarantine that match him, and one that matches the fish in my profile.
[sharedmedia=core:attachments:68718]

Sent you a PM, not sure if you got it...?

@Maninahat
So glad everything is okay with your betta! He looks like he'll turn out to be quite a beauty :)

@Paradise<3
Never heard of not using de-chlorinator, but shoot if it works for you then good on ya! I wish I could save a couple extra bucks for not having to buy it :p

Timberbatch said:
@Paradise<3
Never heard of not using de-chlorinator, but shoot if it works for you then good on ya! I wish I could save a couple extra bucks for not having to buy it
tongue2.gif

Haha, yeah. Thing is, I'm not just saving a few pounds by not having to buy it :lol: I am saving about £20 a month XD There's only so many de-chlorinators that are stocked round here and they are all the stupidly expensive ones that you end up using half a bottle in one waterchange.

Never used it myself, even bred betta's(siamese fighting fish) in normal tap water. I never alter my tap water, just use it as it is.
***This is not Good Advice. Not to offend but what is in your tap water may be very different from anothers, I assure you if you have water with high chlorine and chemical content... NoN treated water (tap water) will cause your fish to suffocate, which is extreamly painful I must add. I would never risk a 100% water change with untreated sink or faucet water, it's like playing Russian roulette with your loved family member. I Lost 3 Betta's to my own stupidity, please do research and test your water before listing to random strangers and their recommendations. Your pets life may be the end result (good or bad). sorry this wasn't meant to offend, only inform.

Haha, yeah. Thing is, I'm not just saving a few pounds by not having to buy it :lol: I am saving about £20 a month XD There's only so many de-chlorinators that are stocked round here and they are all the stupidly expensive ones that you end up using half a bottle in one waterchange.
I do apologize, if you cannot afford to give a pet proper treatment or plan to cause suffering to save a few dollars, you really shouldn't be a pet owner. I think this is the most ignorant post I've read on this forum. don't share uneducated or inexperienced advice, please and thank you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back