Setting up a goldfish tank and need advice.

CSplashy

Reaction score
Hi
emoji112.png
I have not had goldfish in quite a while, and want to start again when I move into my new apartment. I will not be able to have a large tank there for a myriad of reasons, so I am coming here to ask about a tank that likely won’t be upgraded.

Goal:

I would like to keep either two or three fancies, either ranchu or yuan bao/shortfin oranda, or a mix of the two types. I want to keep them bare bottom, with some large cobbles and flowerpots for decor, and a carpet of green algae.

Tank:

I have a 33 gallon long aquarium (48 x 12 x 12) that served as my Amazon tank until my angels outgrew it and I upgraded to a 60 breeder. I like it a lot; I think the shape is very attractive, and gives the fish room to move around naturally, while being easy to clean. It is also what I have, and getting a 40 breeder will likely cost a day of my time and $200+.
I see online that people say a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 16) is the minimum size for fancies. I get that it has a little more turning room 18” vs 12”, more surface area, 648 in2 vs 576 in2, and obviously more volume, but not by a very wide margin, and people recommend 55s for goldfish; which, from the goldfish’s point of view, should be nearly identical to the 33, as it has the same footprint. I also feel that the goldfish I want are smaller and slower than some other fancies, like regular orandas or veiltails, which should make the narrow tank less of an issue.

Equipment:

I have some reef lights for with blue+UV+red+green that were on my 33 gallon soft coral reef (yes I really like the size) that I sold, and a general purpose white LED strip that I think would combine well to create the algae. I would put on 2/3 of the reef lights, as I think that would be enough. I already know that these lights grow algae well in freshwater. I want to run a canister filter for a clean look and a quiet tank. I would also have a pair of 50w heaters in the tank. I do not want a sump.

My plan:

I intend to follow Goldfish Corner on YouTube’s guide for green carpet algae, except that I intend to do it while I cycle the tank, before I add the fish, and just do a fishless cycle.

Goldfish Corner’s guide:

Green Carpet Algae

My Questions:

Is the 33 long good for ranchus?
How much flow is too much/what size canister should I get?
Should I add a powerhead, or will the canister provide enough flow?
Do I need a UV filter?
Do I need to fertilize the algae like I would a planted tank?
Will I be able to grow pathos on top, or will the algae outcompete it?
Do I have to worry about the goldies burning themselves on the heater?
Can too much light stress the goldfish?

Hi
emoji112.png
I have not had goldfish in quite a while, and want to start again when I move into my new apartment. I will not be able to have a large tank there for a myriad of reasons, so I am coming here to ask about a tank that likely won’t be upgraded.

Goal:

I would like to keep either two or three fancies, either ranchu or yuan bao/shortfin oranda, or a mix of the two types. I want to keep them bare bottom, with some large cobbles and flowerpots for decor, and a carpet of green algae.

Tank:

I have a 33 gallon long aquarium (48 x 12 x 12) that served as my Amazon tank until my angels outgrew it and I upgraded to a 60 breeder. I like it a lot; I think the shape is very attractive, and gives the fish room to move around naturally, while being easy to clean. It is also what I have, and getting a 40 breeder will likely cost a day of my time and $200+.
I see online that people say a 40 breeder (36 x 18 x 16) is the minimum size for fancies. I get that it has a little more turning room 18” vs 12”, more surface area, 648 in2 vs 576 in2, and obviously more volume, but not by a very wide margin, and people recommend 55s for goldfish; which, from the goldfish’s point of view, should be nearly identical to the 33, as it has the same footprint. I also feel that the goldfish I want are smaller and slower than some other fancies, like regular orandas or veiltails, which should make the narrow tank less of an issue.

Equipment:

I have some reef lights for with blue+UV+red+green that were on my 33 gallon soft coral reef (yes I really like the size) that I sold, and a general purpose white LED strip that I think would combine well to create the algae. I would put on 2/3 of the reef lights, as I think that would be enough. I already know that these lights grow algae well in freshwater. I want to run a canister filter for a clean look and a quiet tank. I would also have a pair of 50w heaters in the tank. I do not want a sump.

My plan:

I intend to follow Goldfish Corner on YouTube’s guide for green carpet algae, except that I intend to do it while I cycle the tank, before I add the fish, and just do a fishless cycle.

Goldfish Corner’s guide:

Green Carpet Algae

My Questions:

Is the 33 long good for ranchus?
How much flow is too much/what size canister should I get?
Should I add a powerhead, or will the canister provide enough flow?
Do I need a UV filter?
Do I need to fertilize the algae like I would a planted tank?
Will I be able to grow pathos on top, or will the algae outcompete it?
Do I have to worry about the goldies burning themselves on the heater?
Can too much light stress the goldfish?
For the first question, 33 is fine for Ranchus. You couldn't do more than say 2 (preferably 1), but you can have goldfish in that size tank.

As for the other questions, I don't know much about aquarium tech. But a powerhead will be too much. Fancy goldfish need slower-flowing water since they are poor swimmers (especially Ranchu). The more filtration you have, the better, especially with goldfish, which are notorious waste producers. You don't need a UV filter unless you are trying to get rid of algae. The goldfish shouldn't burn themselves on the heater and lights shouldn't be a problem either.

Except if your room is very cold, You shouldn't need to use heaters water at 50-70°F (10-21°C) is required, most of the time, room temperature is good enough.

I don't think the power of the light is a problem, I used to have a tank that would get occasional direct sunlight and it was funny to see the 3 fishes cramping in the corner of the tank to get a sunbath.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back