Setting Up A Air Pump

tez2k007

Fish Crazy
Joined
Dec 1, 2008
Messages
359
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Gateshead
Just got a new Air Pump and was just wondering what I need to do as I have heard people mention that if its ever swithced off the water can travel the opposite way and it can damage it. What do i need to avoid this.
 
get a 1 way valve. then cut the air tube near the pump and attach the valve. this wil stop water flowing into the pump.

they only cost about 50p
 
Fit a non-return valve on the tubing between the pump and the tank.It stops the water flowing back and is very cheap from your LFS or hardware store :good:



Edit ^^beaten to it by Tom :P
 
Fit a non-return valve on the tubing between the pump and the tank.It stops the water flowing back and is very cheap from your LFS or hardware store :good:



Edit ^^beaten to it by Tom :P

Are they all 1 size or is there any particular one i need?
 
I would also caution that I have heard of tanks drained completely/to the lowest connected item in the tank if the power goes off whilst the owner was out, where these valves were not fitted and the pump was mounted lower than the tank.

I personnally fit one way valves on the final length of airline into each item in case our cats decide to get involved with the airlines whilst we are out (our tom sleeps on top of the tank because it the highest point in the room).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top