Setting Up A 55 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

*Fishkies*

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Alrighty so I am finally able to get a big 55 gallon tank. There will be three goldfish in it. (1 Common, 1 Faintail and 1 Fantail) I have a few questions about it though, so I decided to post them here and hopefully get some answers. So here are the questions...

What type of filter would be the best?? (I was thinking about an Emperor 400 by Marineland.)

Also what would be the best substrate to use? (ex: Like gravel, sand, etc.)
Which substrate is cheaper to use?

What would be the best decoration to use? Or what do you think would look neat? (ex: fake plants/live plants...big ornaments...rocks?)

Those are all the questions for now so if anyone could help out with answering these that would be greatly appreciated!

As for the filter I think most any kind will be fine, just get one that cycles the water about 10x an hour or maybe a little more. If it's external that will also give the fish a bit more room. As for substrate I know very small gravel will work, and sand may also be ok with goldfish.
Decorations can be whatever you like. I know goldies like some plants bc it makes them feel secure, but other than that I don't think they really care. It's mainly what you want to look at everyday.

In mine I'll be having a few silk plants (tall and short) and a nice sized ceramic driftwood/cave thing with small natural colored pebbles. It will be planted, but not what I consider heavily planted. I will have a few floating plants too.
My filter hangs on the back and will cycle the water at least 10x an hour.

I can't answer much on the comet fish, but fantails usually get about 6-7" long. I think the comet will get much longer though and they can out-compete the fantails for food and possibly bully them bc the fantails are much slower swimmers. Just something to think about.

I hope this helps, though I don't really have the information you're wanting, I don't think.

Actually that helps with some of my decisions though as like with what kind of center piece to add such as a driftwood feature or just plants. Oh and by the way what kind of filter do you have if I may ask??

Currently in my 55 with my goldfish, tinfoils and pleco I have 1 tall plastic plant, 1 peice driftwood, and medium gravel which I ended up mixing with fine corse gravel. Filtered by a Cascade 1000 canister. Dont make it complicated, simple is nice. When they get big enough they will move what they want anyway

No idea why the camera made it blurry, stupid electronics. But heres my setup as of right now. Other than a power head and heater comming in the mail nothing else will change
1003586ms2.jpg

I have a hardscape something as a centerpiece in each of my tanks, be it driftwood, a cave, whatever. Only I put it off-center so as to look a little more natural. Then I plant around the back and sides, and in the middle too if the fish have a particular need for more plants.
I have an AquaClear HOB filter. It has a 3-stage filter, mechanical, biological and chemical (though I take the carbon out after a week or so... it doesn't seem to really have any effect on my tanks). I like those filter alot... easy to use, good flow adjustments, haven't had any problems with them yet (knock on wood). And the one I'll be using for the 30-g I'm setting up was only about $45. (It's rated as 30-70 gal, 300 gph).

Do you think it would be okay to use Sand instead of gravel for my goldfish? There would also be a common pleco in the tank.

The tank will be a great setup for the fancy goldfish, but unfortunately the common will outgrow it (they have also been known to bully fancy goldfish too, so are not the most ideal tankmates for them, so you need to be very careful with them)- Common goldfish can easily grow to 10inches long or more so are too large for a 55gal, the minimum recommend tank size is a 4ftx18inchx18inch or more tank due to their large size and high activity levels etc.
Is that other fish i see in the tank though? Look like tin foil barbs;

http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/tinfoil.htm

Yes?

Anyhoo, in my honest opinion sand substrate is the best as its the easiest to keep clean and goldfish seem to enjoy sifting through it for food :thumbs: .

I'm not sure if i'll be using sand yet or not but I was wondering if I do.

What would be the best kinda of sand to get? Like is there a good specific brand to use??

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back