Setting up a 180 Liter tank (47,5 gallon) Any tips on my fish and plant choices?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Aeontha

Reaction score
Hi, I recently purchased an 180 Liter (47,5 gallons) Juwel tank with a curved front. I got it used and have cleaned it out properly and it should now be ready to start adding substrate, decor, water and eventually plants. It is not ready for fish yet but I have made a list of fish that id like to put in it as well as a list for plants. Even though I am not completely fresh when it comes to keeping fish, I had a 75 Liter tank when I was a kid, id like some feedback on the lists I’ve made and maybe suggestions if there are any issues with it.

Fish
  • 10 Corydoras Elegans
  • 10 Barbs (Goldbarbs or Cherrybarbs)
  • 4-6 Botias/Loaches (Clown or Pakistani)
  • 1 Synodontis catfish (Eupterus, ocellifer or Lucipinnis)
  • (4 Siamese algae eaters) maybe
I am uncertain if the number of fish would be too much for a 180l tank but I also don't want too few of the shoaling fish as i want them to be happy and confident in their environment. Also concerned about adding a Synodotis as the tank isn't really that big. Same goes for the botias as I've more or less settled on the pakistani rather then the clown.

As for what I plan on adding to the tank first would be the Corys, I have already talked to one of my local pet shops and they can acquire them for me and I wouldn't want a tank without them. Probably adding the Botias/loaches or barbs 2nd and 3rd leaving the Siamese algae eaters and Synodontis for last.

I plan to have a decent amount of plants, several pieces of driftwood and rocks. I prefer the more natural look rather then the artificial decor. Hopefully this will provide them with enough hiding spots. I also got some stuff for setting up air rocks that make bubbles which I plan on setting up in the back (heard corys and barbs like that). I have already purchased a light colored sand (not gravel) but have yet to purchase the plants.

Plants
  • 2 Anubias barteri var. barteri
  • 2 Anubias barteri var. nana
  • 1 Cardamine lyrata
  • 2 Ludwigia palustris
  • 2 Microsorum pteropus (Java fern)

I have chosen these plants somewhat on their height, growth and care and somewhat on their looks. As I want a nice balance of higher plants in the back, some lower ones in the front, a variety in color and plants that were easy to care for. Also is 9 plants overdoing it? I read somewhere that about 5 plants pr 100 liters was appropriate. Also heard i should use a growing medium or organic planting soil or such for the plants, putting a thin layer below the sand. Is that a good idea?

I also used to have Corys and they seemed to love the Anubias I had in the old aquarium, both laying on top of the leaves and under them fairly often. I believe we also had some Java ferns but apart from that I don’t have any experience with the other plants on the list so any input would be nice.

I absolutely adore bottom feeder fish and want them to be healthy and happy in the tank so any additional tips would be much appreciated.

Welcome to TFF.

First question, what are the source water parameters? GH (general or total hardness) and pH are important factors affecting most fish. You can probably find this info on your water authority's website, or call them. We need thee number and their unit of measurement for the GH.

I won't suggest fish until I know the parameters, but a couple issues need to bee pointed out. This tank is not large enough for clown loaches, a fish that reaches 8 inches fairly quickly and then continues often to 12 inches. Being a shoaling species it needs at least five, and for this an 8-foot long tank. The Pakistini Loaches might work, depending which species this refers too, common names are confusing and there are at least three Botia loaches sometimes referred to under this common name. If these turn out to be an option, a group of five is needed.

Loaches and cories should not be combined in the same tank. Loaches are more territorial, and while this can sometimes cause problems for the cories there is also the more aggressive feeding habit of loaches over cories, and the latter can get left out and stressed. This tank could house a decent-sized group of cories, 15 or so [this is also a shoaling fish and the more the better for them] on their own (for substrate fish).

Syunodontis are also shoaling fish so a group here, but not with cories or loaches and this tank is small for two of the three species mentioned. Synodontis lucipinnis is smaller (3-4 inches) but prefers moderately hard water like the western rift valley lakes.

Siamese algae eaters are also too large for this tank, and a group of five is minimum to avoid hierarchial disputes.

Sand is better than gravel for either cories or loaches. Provided the "light sand" is not white, you will be OK. If it is white, it would be better to change it now, as white substrates do stress out many fish. Driftwood is ideal for cories or loaches, and the loaches in particular must have it (or something that replicates it). Make sure the rocks are smooth; river rock which comes in differing sizes of pebbles is OK provided it is not calcareous and most "river rock" is not.

Thank you for the feedback, I will check the water parameters and the sand. I had done some research and already pretty much ruled out the clown loaches at this point. I'd like to add that the manager I talked to at the pet store seemed to think i could easily put a group of 4-6 pakistani loaches of the kind they were selling in a tank the size i described and with the other fish that i mentioned at the time (Corys and barbs). I'll try to look more into it and as of now I'll cross them off my list. Same goes for the Siamese algae eaters and in stead try to see if i can get a larger group of corydoras.

Never believe anything a shop worker tells you. There are good ones, but not many. Most of them have been trained in how to make a sale, and how to sound convincing while making things up. Managers included.

However, forum members are not trying to sell you anything and just want the best for the fish.

That is very true. I visited a couple of stores and I have already gotten different opinions depending on who i talked to, regarding tank size and fish mostly. That is why I decided to turn to the forums as I thought it might help me make a more educated decision regarding the fish and plants.

But i do enjoy trying to do my own research, reading up on the fish, plants and all that. Even if there is a lot of information to wrap your head around. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back