Serious Problem... Update For Everyone Who Helped X

Tory

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 16, 2009
Messages
299
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Hull, East Yorkshire
I can quite honestly say i am panicking

There has been water coming slowely from somewhere on my tank since last night..I think ive got a leak. Ive just finished stocking my 140lt tank and havent the fogiest what I am gonna do. Its taken me ages to do it bit by bit and now this...I just cant afford another tank..I think I might cry :-(
 
I can quite honestly say i am panicking

There has been water coming slowely from somewhere on my tank since last night..I think ive got a leak. Ive just finished stocking my 130lt tank and havent the fogiest what I am gonna do. Its taken me ages to do it bit by bit and now this...I just cant afford another tank..I think I might cry :-(

Just how fast are you dripping??.... I've seen slow leaks stop spontaneously... Can you establish if it is a low down leak, or are you highish??.... If you can find the origin, there's nothing wrong with a finger tip of silicon sealer smeared accross the spot (under water) on the inside of the tank. I've stopped numerous leaks permanently in that fashion.
 
I can quite honestly say i am panicking

There has been water coming slowely from somewhere on my tank since last night..I think ive got a leak. Ive just finished stocking my 130lt tank and havent the fogiest what I am gonna do. Its taken me ages to do it bit by bit and now this...I just cant afford another tank..I think I might cry :-(

Just how fast are you dripping??.... I've seen slow leaks stop spontaneously... Can you establish if it is a low down leak, or are you highish??.... If you can find the origin, there's nothing wrong with a finger tip of silicon sealer smeared accross the spot (under water) on the inside of the tank. I've stopped numerous leaks permanently in that fashion.


It appears to be quite slow, Im going ti try and establish were it is - again, it appears to be low down, however, am gonna have to have a look, but from what I can see, theres no cracks high up, am going to move the sand and see what I can find. Thats really interesting to know - any silicone sealant - under water? Do you mean I can do this with fish still in?...sorry that confused me
 
Ive just moved the sand (to my fishies annoyance!!) and there are no visible cracks...

Just thinking in the event that I have to drain the tank, as well as looking for a suitable alternative to put the fish in while a drain and repair job is underway, can they be housed in my bath if I put the water in there along with the heater and filter????
 
Could the water be getting out via the filter splashing water...or condensation? Before you take it all apart I would empty a quarter or a third of the tank water and see if you still have a leak. Hopefully its not a crack, good luck!

If worst comes to worst and you need a tempory place for your fish use a large bucket. The bath is not good, too white and alot of possible contaminants.
 
Could the water be getting out via the filter splashing water...or condensation? Before you take it all apart I would empty a quarter or a third of the tank water and see if you still have a leak. Hopefully its not a crack, good luck!

If worst comes to worst and you need a tempory place for your fish use a large bucket. The bath is not good, too white and alot of possible contaminants.


Ive checked the filter, and its not that and there is no moisture on the sides, it just appears to be coming from the front corner, so am worried its actually the seal - I strangely bought aquarium sealant yesterday for something else, so that could be a piece of luck...
 
it could just be a small gap in the silicone holding the glass together. if you can look really hard to find where the water is dripping from by following its path back to the tank, you may not be looking for a crack just a tiny slit/hole in the silicone. if you can find it do as Ludwig says and smear aquarium silicone on the inside of the tank, while the fish are still in and i would also put a smear on the outside to just for security and more peace of mind. aquarium silicone is about £2.99 or so from lfs so not expensive.

good luck Tory :good:
 
it could just be a small gap in the silicone holding the glass together. if you can look really hard to find where the water is dripping from by following its path back to the tank, you may not be looking for a crack just a tiny slit/hole in the silicone. if you can find it do as Ludwig says and smear aquarium silicone on the inside of the tank, while the fish are still in and i would also put a smear on the outside to just for security and more peace of mind. aquarium silicone is about £2.99 or so from lfs so not expensive.

good luck Tory :good:


Only problem is, is Im not entirely sure where the leak is coming from, I tried to check the seals byt the sand was causing an issue - I also cant get to the area underneath the tank as is fitted into an alcove like a glove. The aquarium silicone I bought yesterday (to bond rocks) says you should leave out of the water 48hrs because of the smell? Was worried about it contaminating the water
 
it could just be a small gap in the silicone holding the glass together. if you can look really hard to find where the water is dripping from by following its path back to the tank, you may not be looking for a crack just a tiny slit/hole in the silicone. if you can find it do as Ludwig says and smear aquarium silicone on the inside of the tank, while the fish are still in and i would also put a smear on the outside to just for security and more peace of mind. aquarium silicone is about £2.99 or so from lfs so not expensive.

good luck Tory :good:


Only problem is, is Im not entirely sure where the leak is coming from, I tried to check the seals byt the sand was causing an issue - I also cant get to the area underneath the tank as is fitted into an alcove like a glove. The aquarium silicone I bought yesterday (to bond rocks) says you should leave out of the water 48hrs because of the smell? Was worried about it contaminating the water
it will probably be worth draining enough water for you and a mate or 2 to pull the tank out and get a proper look round the back. even if its just enough water to cover the fish, it will stress them but its got to be worth it as leaks only get worse unless it does stop on its own but then its only temporaraly sealed and when cleaning next time you may unblock it.... if there are no cracks visible or anything obvious if the tank is in an alcove then it may be worth just putting the sealant around all the edges at the back and sides and see how it goes, ideally it needs sorting from the inside to prevent the water sitting inside the sealant and weakening it. i hope you can sort it Tory
 
Are you positive its a tank leak, because i thought my 60l tank was leaking but it was actually condensation :| , also you dont have any airstones right up against the tank walls do you, the bubbles go up and splash off the side of the glass this way.
 
Are you positive its a tank leak, because i thought my 60l tank was leaking but it was actually condensation :| , also you dont have any airstones right up against the tank walls do you, the bubbles go up and splash off the side of the glass this way.
yeah before doing as i said do make sure its nothing silly like betta said! air stones, condensation, filter pipes check and double check them all. water can find its way around objects and drip quite a way from where the actual leak is
 
is it coming from the top or bottom? it may start higher up but collect at the bottom so look more at the bottom.
my 125ltr Fluval has a manufacture fault which makes it leak at the top, where the glass meets the plastis valance, fixed with a smear of sealant!!
 
is it coming from the top or bottom? it may start higher up but collect at the bottom so look more at the bottom.
my 125ltr Fluval has a manufacture fault which makes it leak at the top, where the glass meets the plastis valance, fixed with a smear of sealant!!


Thanks for all your comments, am really grateful for your help, Im hoping it is something like condensaton, its just odd that its happened all of a sudden is all. Have a perfect update for you all...my wonderful blokey went out to find a storage box big enough but they were 40 quid, so he went to our trusty lfs and picked up a second hand one complete with everything except gravel and fish for 60 quid!! Bless, its also on one of those metal stands that you can put a second tank on the bottom ;) ;)

I am going to empty everything straight over as we speak with filter and water etc and get to the bottom of this water - hope it is just something like what has been suggested, but if it decides to go pop, 140 ltrs is alot to empty all over the living room!!!! So being safe rather than sorry - also dont want whatever is leaking out to rot the wooden cabinet..!

So I now have tank number 3 sooner than I thought!! Looks like my 60l can be turned into a dwarf puffer tank after all.......!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 

Most reactions

Back
Top