Seeding Filter Media

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

RyanTheFishGuy64

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a new 29g, that will be a little bit before I can do anything with, so I was wondering how to seed its filter media in my other tank. Can I just sit it in the back of the tank, or do I have to strap it to the front of the out flow, considering it wont fit inside of the 10g filter. I guess the short question is, does the media need water flow to be "seeded" or can it sit in the back of the tank?
Thanks

there are several ways to 'seed' a new filter but the easiest way is if you have an fully cycled external filter. With an external canister you can add new media to a bucket and just tip the water and all the gunk in the bottom into the bucket with the new media, add an air stone and leave it for about a week. If you've got any rotting plant leaves in your tank you can add those aswell to create a bit of ammonia. You can also add the new media to the external if there is space. 

Another way if you have an internal filter is to add new media to it - if there is space for it. Alternately if there isn't space you can just wipe some of the gunk onto the new media. It's that brown gunky stuff that has all the bacterial colonies and it's that that you want to latch onto new media.

I have 'seeded' using the external filter way myself and it worked perfectly but I'd always suggest using a little caution. By this I mean once 'seeded' add fish slowly and be diligent about checking the water parameters just to be sure

Hope that helps :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back