Seeding Filter Media: Worthless?

llamalord305

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 11, 2007
Messages
436
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Miami, Florida, U.S.
I'm getting a 150 gallon soon, not sure of what date. I have a spare 2.5 gallon and a secondhand old HOB. If I get some sponge, and cycle the filter with the "add daily" method, and then add it into the sump of the 150 later, would it make any difference? The bacteria would already be there, it just has to colonize more places (bio balls). Am I making sense, or would the difference be negligible if I just started anew when I get the 150?
 
I think it probably would make a difference. I've cycled tanks pretty fast with only a small amount of mature media available.

I've also pre-cycled a couple of filters in a bucket, while waiting for the tank and other equipment. If you can set up the sump with the bio balls etc before your tank arrives, you might as well set up water circulation inside the sump and start cycling it. Or dump the bioballs into the 2.5 gal, add some water circulation and aereation and start cycling the media there (you need to add ammonia at a faster rate, because you'll have a huge amount of media compared to water volume, and you can't go to insane PPM of ammonia or you'll start growing the wrong kinds of bacteria). When you eventually move the media into the sump and set up the tank, it'll be that much closer to being cycled (if not ready).
 

Most reactions

Back
Top