Seachem Stability - My Results

bronzecat

Leader of the Fishes
Joined
Feb 10, 2008
Messages
2,101
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi
Some people may have seen me mention a product call Stability. After recently setting up a marine aquarium and using this product, i never had any spikes in Ammonia or nitrIte. NitrAte was showing at day 4/5 (less than 5ppm). This could have been aided by the 30kgs of live rock in the tank, so it wasn't really a suitable test for the product.

So, i set up a 6 gallon fresh water with an Interpet pf mini internal filter. Everything was brand new. Small gravel substrate, java moss covered coconut caves and silk plants. Temp set at 28 degrees.

I started adding Stability as soon as it was running. Days 1 - 5 = zero for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte. Day 6 = zero for ammonia and nitrIte, nitrAte at 5ppm.

Tank is divided and 2 male bettas went in on day 7. Readings since have all shown ammonia and nitrIte = 0, nitrAte = 5-10ppm.

Even though these results are good, i am still going to monitor the stats to ensure there is no sudden crash, and i would urge anyone who tries it to monitor water stats.
 
very interesting... i've seen that product before and was wondering about it. I've always liked seachem's stuff and their aquavitro line is supposed to be excellent.
 
Do the instructions say that "it is safe to add fish" on day 1?

If so, now that we have evidence that the water conditions work out, maybe it would be time to try it out with a small bioload from day 1.

Also, Does this product get added on a daily basis? Im wondering whether it is designed to "start" the filter, or whether it is simply a binding agent for specific nasties. (I see that nitrate has started to be present but this doesnt mean the filter is getting established.)

How long is the stuff designed to be used for? and is it recommended as a filter boost?
 
On the bottle it says "Fish and other aquatic species may be introduced at any time as long as the dosage is maintained for 7 days".

On day 1 it says add 5ml per 40Ltrs. Then days 2-8 add 5ml per 80Ltrs.

It is designed to start the filter by providing the necessary agents to facilitate the breakdown of oraganics, ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAte.

Can be used as a filter boost, following water changes, when adding new fish or when medicating.

Has a shelf life of 4 months from manufacture.



However, i did try it on a tank with an ammonia problem (mini cycle) but cannot gauge whether it helped as i've nothing to compare it to.

I think the bit where it says "fish etc can be added etc etc" is a bit of a dangerous statement. I really cant see how it would cope if someone decided to dump a complete stock in :crazy:

I need to setup another tank any time soon, so will try it again with a bio load present.

Like i said, i am still monitoring the tank to ensure there is no crash. I wont be truly convinced until this tank has been running for another couple of weeks with no problems.

So, i'm cautiously optomistic :good:
 
Well, until fish are added to a tank, surely any ammonia readings will be zero, so I don't understand how that proves the stuff is working. Is it supposed to just kick-start the filter bacteria into multiplying or does it claim to fully cycle a tank in a week?

I think maybe you need to do the test on a more fuller stocked tank as a 6 gallon with just two bettas surely won't have much in the way of an ammonia reading anyway. The small amount of waste they produce will quickly encourage a small bacteria colony (possibly aided by the Seachem stuff), enough to cope with just that amount of waste output - so it would be unusual to get a reading for ammonia IMO.

I find it all a bit confusing really LOL

Athena
 
Probably best to read this http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Stability.html

Instead of the way in which other "cycle" products claim to work by adding the bad bacteria to start the nitrogen cycle, Stability says it adds the good bacteria.

My understanding of the nitrogen cycle is - Ammonia > NitrIte > NitrAte

It makes little difference using a 6 gallon tank, 2 fish and a mini internal filter, than it does to use a 40 gallon, 12 fish and an appropriately sized filter. Statistically its pretty much the same.

As with all research Athena, its an ongoing process. I'm not going to risk my fish without first testing the water so to speak. Thats why i said i am going to set up another tank to test it with bioload. Did consider adding ammonia at say day 3 and monitoring how quick it is converted.

Despite what people say about bettas being clean fish, i can confirm that 1 betta in an unfiltered 3 gallon tank has ammonia starting to show after approx 3 days.

As said, this is just my initial findings and should be taken as such. Until the tank has remained stable for a couple of weeks I'm not counting my chickens :D
 
Chickens? What chickens LOL? I thought you were keeping fish :hyper:

Ok - like I said, I find it all a bit too confusing (My brain is just plain tired to be honest from having to get up at 5am and not home till 8pm...long, long days... LOL) but I will be interested to see what your final outcome is on it all and whether this is a product that will be worth buying at some future point (whenever I get to set up another tank).

Regards - Athena
 
I will be getting a QT tank going soon for 20 Rummy Nosed Tetras and Mebe 2 new Discus. Work stocks Stability. I feel my own experiment comming on :shifty: After the QT of these new fish, that tank will become a breeding set-up, so is kind of ideal realy for a longer-term testing session. Dose liquid Ammonia and Stability on day one, check the readings day two and continue. If it is cycled in a week, I'll be baffled, but worth a go :lol: I'm not risking £100 of fish in a just set-up QT tank though, hence the use of Ammonia to prove the cycle :good:
 
Its worth a go Rabbut as this may have been the exception rather than the rule, so another persons experience would be a good thing :good:

Plus, its early days yet and i'm not satisfied it has worked yet.
 
Quick update -

The bettas have been in for 5 days now and the water stats are

Amm = 0
NitrIte = 0
NitrAte = 5-10
 
Hi again

Bettas been in for 9 days now. Water stats - Ammonia = 0, nitrIte = 0, nitrAte = 10

So thats about 14 days since starting the tank from fresh and i have not seen any Ammonia or NitrIte, but the NitrAtes have steadily risen.

I am pretty pleased with results :good:
 
looking like Bronzecat is doing OK thus far, no spikes or anything.

I have my 96l tank filled, equipment going and a dose of Ammonia to 5ppm in there now. There is also 4 tablespoons of baking powder in the tank for hardness buffering (soft water area and fishless cycling, lets avoid the pH crash, rather than cleaning up after it :lol: ) I will get and add Stability tomorrow and see how it goes. Just to re-cap, all filter media is new and I'm going to follow an add and wait method with Ammonia, while adding the product as per instructions :good:

All the best
Rabbut
 
looking like Bronzecat is doing OK thus far, no spikes or anything.

I have my 96l tank filled, equipment going and a dose of Ammonia to 5ppm in there now. There is also 4 tablespoons of baking powder in the tank for hardness buffering (soft water area and fishless cycling, lets avoid the pH crash, rather than cleaning up after it :lol: ) I will get and add Stability tomorrow and see how it goes. Just to re-cap, all filter media is new and I'm going to follow an add and wait method with Ammonia, while adding the product as per instructions :good:

All the best
Rabbut


Should make to be a nice interesting experiment rubbut :good:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top