Seachem Safe to Prime conversion.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I was curious if I bought Seachem Safe and want to make a liquid equivalent like Seachem prime would anyone know the equation for a 250mL 8.5fl oz bottle.
Hello Overload...

I use one-eighth of a teaspoon of "Safe" for every five gallons of water I remove from the tank. I mix the product in a half gallon pitcher of tap water and pour it directly into my fish tank. Then, I just fill the tank from the faucet. The "Safe" product works directly on contact with the tap water.

10 Tanks

I was curious if I bought Seachem Safe and want to make a liquid equivalent like Seachem prime would anyone know the equation for a 250mL 8.5fl oz bottle.
I contacted Seachem a few years ago asking your question. They advised just don't make a large batch to keep on hand because Safe does not have a long shelf life after it is mixed. The directions say use 1/4 tsp for 300-gallons.

I just use a dash, about 1/16 tsp for most of my tanks. It's hard to overdose, and the fish try to eat it thinking it's food. It is a lot more cost effective than Prime. I have a 125, 120, 120, 75, 75, 40B, 33, 20L, 20L, 10, 10, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5 gallon tanks as well as a 15 gallon water feature for my box turtle's 180 gallon enclosure so I would be in financial ruin using Prime when doing water changes.

as you'll come to find out they're both the same base stuff pretty much different names...none remove ammonia as indicated
and prime adds extra things into it hence the 'smell'
safe is nothing more than sodium thiosulfate with a seachem label on it
shelf life...ST comes in a crystal form which should last years and years if sealed properly
now..prime adds extra things to act as medicine and so on somewhat like a "preventive" measure
as for the ST chemical alone
ST just like safe can cause a crash if overdosed or added to water without chlorine as it breaks down chlorine it turns into sulfur which will then react with water and turn into sulfurous acid
which in turn will cause the ph to drop and an ammonia spike and the possibility of a crash
if you want cheaper dechlorination simply let it air out or small water changes (5-10%) + uv light on for 24h after a water change
if your tap water has chloramine you can use around a double dose of the recommended usage of the volume of water changed not the tank volume (even though I've seen many people state they use full tank volume dosage no matter what...)
as long as you stay under 4x the recommended usage you should be ok

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back