Seachem Purigen 100Ml Question

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Huntress

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 26 gallon bow front tank. Just recieved Penn Plax Cascade 150 GPH Power Filter today, loving it thus far. Its very quiet. Quieter than the Aqueon Quietflow, anyway I also bought a bag of Seachem Purigen 100ml, Where would I place the bag? I tried placing it with the Sponge and the Carbon Filter but the Filter was a wee too full. Lol...So I removed the sponge, I never had a sponge before in my aqueon quiet flow 20 gallon which I wanted to upgrade. Where exactly would I place the Purigen bag?
Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
You do not need both the carbon and the Purigen. They essentially do similar things. Remove the carbon and put the Purigen where it was. You do want the sponge.

What exactly does the sponge do? In my aquaon 20 gal filter I never had a sponge. So its all actually new to me.

Sponges are great bits of filter media, highly underrated. Good mechanical filters, good biofilters, easy to clean and last for ages. They're easy to cut to size and they're cheap. What's not to like?

Carbon is a temporary add in, as is purigen to be honest. I use them occasionally, but usually for removing things like tannins or medications. The main priority of a filter is the biological filter, followed by mechanical, so as TTA says, keep the sponge.

Ok, thanks. Will do. I am going to try to place the Purigen bag beneath both the sponge and carbon filter. I read that the carbon filter is good too, to have. I just wish I got the 200 filter now. Lol

Unless you have a specific need for Purigen or carbon, there is no point to using them. That space is better dedicated to more bio-filtration media.

Using carbon and purigen together is akin to wearing both a belt and suspenders.
rolleyes.gif

TwoTankAmin said:
Unless you have a specific need for Purigen or carbon, there is no point to using them. That space is better dedicated to more bio-filtration media.
Yup, definitely seconded, bio first, everything else is secondary.

TwoTankAmin said:
Using carbon and purigen together is akin to wearing both a belt and suspenders.
rolleyes.gif
Nothing wrong with doing that unless it's at the cost of wearing trousers, if you'll forgive me extending the analogy. First put the trousers on, then worry about the belt and braces.

Thanks, I just removed the carbon filter and place the Purigen bag in its place. I am new to Purigen just recieved it about a day or so ago. Then the Sponge I placed after the Purigen bag. Should it of been the other way around? Lol, I am clueless magooo when it comes to Aquarium Filters and such.

Generally speaking it's mechanical, biological, then chemical. There are a few exceptions, but that's the generalisation.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back