Filter media question

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

sharkweek178

Supporting Member
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
Right now, I'm still using the 10 gallon starter kit that I got. It included an Aqueon Quietflow 10 HOB filter. I added a mesh bag with some ceramic beads in the back, a sponge cover over the intake tube, and made baffling out of a water bottle to divert the outflow so that my fish aren't getting tossed around by the current.
Should I even bother changing the charcoal filter cartridge for a new cartridge? Can I replace that with some cut up pieces of sponge (something specifically meant for an aqarium) to act as a mechanical and biological filter instead? I'm new to this but from the research I've been doing, I'm getting the idea that chemical filtration is not all that necessary.

Unless you are trying to remove medicine that was recently added, then there isn't a need for activated charcoal. Just a waste of money and space in your filter. Sure, you can replace with any other material if you have the space, there is never too much mechanical/bio media.

You can also use plastic scrubbers or foam (e.g. the smiley face pucks) available at any grocery store for a mech/bio filter.

You can also use plastic scrubbers or foam (e.g. the smiley face pucks) available at any grocery store for a mech/bio filter.
As long as the sponges have no added cleansers to them because some might

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back