The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Aqua67

Fishaholic
Reaction score
7C5870A4-AE35-425C-9BF9-D3B0AF121F48.jpeg

This shrimp tank was started 7 months ago and is a 5.5 gallon tank. I use RO water and remineralize with GlasGarten Shrimp Mineral. There is a sponge over the intake and I squeeze it out weekly to improve flow. The filter is for a 10 gallon tank and the flow is adjustable, so the filtration is sufficient. It was started with 8 shrimp and babies first came at the end of May. Babies have been coming regularly ever since. These shrimp are fed Hikari Crab and Shrimp Cuisines, Logemann Bros. products, organic veggie pieces. I try to provide a varied diet. There are water fleas and amphipods in the tank. Planaria have been in the tank since the start, probably came in on plants and I kept removing them manually. Last week I picked up some Prazipro and dosed my little shrimp tank hoping it might assist in getting rid of the planaria.

Water parameters on 10/24
0 Ammonia
10 Nitrate
0 Nitrite
150 GH
40 KH
6.4 pH
0 Chlorine
Temp 70.8F

I noticed one of my beautiful shrimp had some white areas underneath so I did some online researching to identify what might be going on. I did just see this shrimp molt and thought perhaps those white areas were injuries from scratching across some hornwort as the tank has heavy vegetation and the majority of the tank area is quite ā€œbushyā€ looking. It seems to be Scutariella Japonica. Would you agree with that assessment?

The treatment for this nematode seems to vary and the websites have their own opinion on how much aquarium salt and water to use. Iā€™ve seen 1 teaspoon to a cup of aquarium water, 1 Tablespoon salt to a glass of water, and if the whole tank is infested use 1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of tank water, etcā€¦. So I am unsure of the dosing. My first thought is ā€œwhat the hell??!!ā€ when it is said to dose 1 cup of water as heavily as 5 full gallons of water with the same amount of aquarium salt.

The aquarium salt container recommends treating with 1/16th of a Tablespoon per 1 cup of water for disease treatment and it is what Iā€™ve used this morning for that shrimpā€™s first salt bath. I had her in there for 1 minute. I have not seen this on any other shrimp in the tank, but like I said, she did just molt the other day when I did a small water change (less than 1.5 quarts). Many shrimp did eat the molt though so now Iā€™m wondering if Iā€™m going to see more of this on the other shrimp in the tank. I will be on the lookout for molts now until mid-November and will be removing them from the tank. It wonā€™t be easy to find them all since this tank is very much an underwater jungle.

So I am not looking for what you can research and find online and parrot back at me, but I will review other websites and videos if you want to share a link. Iā€™m looking for real life experience with Scutariella Japonica and how did you overcome the problem. What salt bath recipe or other remedy worked for you. Please share your experience with Scutariella Japonica.

Thanks so much.

Now Iā€™m going back with my cup of coffee to look into my water cubes. <smile>

I am glad to have taken such a good picture of the problem on ā€œBig Redā€. Looking at her this morning much of that white stuff is gone but there was still some there. This morning I used another salt dip, this time a little stronger than last time. I took 1 cup of water and used two teaspoons of salt (just slightly less than two teaspoons, actually). I dropped the shrimp in and she laid on her side for a few seconds, but she also swam around right side up also. When 60 seconds had elapsed, I placed her back into the main tank. I did not notice any of the white stuff left in the salt dip after removing the shrimp.

Since this tank was so heavily planted, I took out a LOT of the hornwort so I could see much more of the tank in order to locate and remove any molts that I find. Since Iā€™ve had the tank (7 mos) Iā€™ve only seen a molt twiceā€¦.that is how heavily planted it was.

Iā€™m just keeping everyone updated on the process. Iā€™m hopeful for more progress over the next 24 hours.
2C24AE27-C470-4590-B6CA-B3DD0235026A.jpeg

Last edited:
I am glad to have taken such a good picture of the problem on ā€œBig Redā€. Looking at her this morning much of that white stuff is gone but there was still some there. This morning I used another salt dip, this time a little stronger than last time. I took 1 cup of water and used two teaspoons of salt (just slightly less than two teaspoons, actually). I dropped the shrimp in and she laid on her side for a few seconds, but she also swam around right side up also. When 60 seconds had elapsed, I placed her back into the main tank. I did not notice any of the white stuff left in the salt dip after removing the shrimp.

Since this tank was so heavily planted, I took out a LOT of the hornwort so I could see much more of the tank in order to locate and remove any molts that I find. Since Iā€™ve had the tank (7 mos) Iā€™ve only seen a molt twiceā€¦.that is how heavily planted it was.

Iā€™m just keeping everyone updated on the process. Iā€™m hopeful for more progress over the next 24 hours.
I kinda think that white stuff looked like her eggs, but that might just be me. Also, I thought we are supposed to leave the molts in the tank, so that the shrimp can eat it and get back some nutrients found in the exoskeleton.
I'm new to keeping shrimp, so I'm not an expert, just sharing what I think I know.

According to the info below, Scutariella Japonica usually appear on the head & rostrum of shrimp, and rarely along the body
I'm not quite sure what we're looking at here, but it does look like Scutariella Japonica to me...if I had to guess

I kinda think that white stuff looked like her eggs, but that might just be me. Also, I thought we are supposed to leave the molts in the tank, so that the shrimp can eat it and get back some nutrients found in the exoskeleton.
I'm new to keeping shrimp, so I'm not an expert, just sharing what I think I know.
If what I am battling here is Scutariella Japonica the nematode lays eggs under the shell of the shrimp and it is the adults you see hanging off the shrimp. A salt bath usually aids in the demise of the adults but when the affected shrimp molts, the eggs are left on the molt. So if the molt is not removed other shrimp will eat the molt and also become infected. So while you are correct, it is generally a good idea to leave the molt in the tank to be eaten, that is not the case with this particular problem. Once the nematodes have been eradicated, then it is fine to leave molts in the tank. Since Iā€™m not 100% positive this is the problem I am dealing with, I will err on the side of caution and remove the molts until I no longer see the issue on Big Red or any of the others.

This particular shrimp is not with eggs at the moment, but I did see a pale small male on her back yesterday so I wouldnā€™t be surprised to see eggs under her soon.

According to the info below, Scutariella Japonica usually appear on the head & rostrum of shrimp, and rarely along the body
I'm not quite sure what we're looking at here, but it does look like Scutariella Japonica to me...if I had to guess

Thank you Slaphpp7, I have treated the tank with Prazipro earlier this week and with this 2nd salt bath, Iā€™m hoping that I will be winning this battle soon.

I will keep the thread updated with any progress as time passes.

Thank you Slaphpp7, I have treated the tank with Prazipro earlier this week and with this 2nd salt bath, Iā€™m hoping that I will be winning this battle soon.

I will keep the thread updated with any progress as time passes.
Paraguard is also mentioned in the article; I've had good results with it (for other parasites, not shrimp-related), and also have used Prazi in the past, with good results

Do keep us updated

Yesterday I gave the shrimp in question a little break. I took her picture and it is the one under the leaf.

This morning as soon as the lights came on I checked in on her and while it is definitely improving, it is not 100% gone yet. The two pictures in the hornwort are from this morning. I am undecided as to whether or not I will give her another salt bath today.

Attachments

• D303D11D-DEFB-4717-911B-AA19928CAE6F.jpeg
    D303D11D-DEFB-4717-911B-AA19928CAE6F.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 924E4A91-D827-4D5D-8CB2-EA77C77D9C62.jpeg
    924E4A91-D827-4D5D-8CB2-EA77C77D9C62.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 33
  • F76B1139-1A0A-4E4D-A7DB-FEC171254060.jpeg
    F76B1139-1A0A-4E4D-A7DB-FEC171254060.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 35
Whatever this was/is, there seems to be some still there, or it has come back. It still seems to be the only shrimp in the tank affected. While the treatments I gave it seemed to improve things, it obviously hasnā€™t cured anything. I am going to research a little more and see if I can come up with a solution.

I am doing another salt bath for 60 seconds (1 T salt / 1 cup water) and for the tank I will add 5 additional Indian Almond Leaves. Now I need to order more leaves <smile>.

Last edited:
Whatever this was/is, there seems to be some still there, or it has come back. It still seems to be the only shrimp in the tank affected. While the treatments I gave it seemed to improve things, it obviously hasnā€™t cured anything. I am going to research a little more and see if I can come up with a solution.

I am doing another salt bath for 60 seconds (1 T salt / 1 cup water) and for the tank I will add 5 additional Indian Almond Leaves. Now I need to order more leaves <smile>.
It's odd that it is affecting just the one shrimp...good luck with the most recent salt treatment

Yes, I agree @Slaphppy7 just that one ā€œBig Redā€ (import, one of my favorite individual shrimp). I keep a good eye on that tank and do literally spend hours looking at it. I even use my phone to zoom in for a closer look and would love to get a lens to make seeing the tiniest of things even easier.

None of the other shrimp have this stuff under them. Now, granted, some of the younger shrimp in that tank are more clear in color and it would be harder for my old eyeballs to focus in on something similar on those shrimp, but I do try as best as I can and I am pretty sure everyone else in the tank is good. But that is something I look for every day. Chances are others may also have the problem too though, I know.

Iā€™m starting to think it may be something else, like vorticella. I donā€™t notice any of the plants with vorticella though. I really donā€™t know, but Iā€™ll sure be glad to eradicate it from Big Red.

Most reactions

Back