Scummy Film On Water Surface

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Betta5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hey, its been forever since I was on here, I recently restarted one of my tanks up a few days ago. Stripped it down, washed everything and set it all back up. I painted the back and filled it up with water, had everything running and it was cool, water nice and clear as expected. Then added filter media (the biorb gravel kind because I like it) to my external filter and some black gravel to the tank and since then the water has been cloudyish and has developed a greasy looking film on top. Its an open top aquarium with one of those light units that hovers over so the water is really open to contamination from the air.

Anyways. Its been so long since I set a tank up, what should my next step be? How am i going to clear the top of the water and will the water get less cloudy? Should I add a carbon filter and filter floss?

Here is a pic just coz
1111.jpg

Filter floss will help catch fine particles that are floating. If its an oily film, just get some newspaper and lay a sheet on the surface. Repeat until there is no residue left.

Filter floss will help catch fine particles that are floating. If its an oily film, just get some newspaper and lay a sheet on the surface. Repeat until there is no residue left.

I wouldn't use newspaper as the print is unstable. I have had this problem and found sheets of good quality, non patterned kitchen roll works well.

Filter floss will work wonders. :good:

I also use newspaper... it's probably on the surface for less than 3 seconds so i doubt anything would leech into the tank. And all my fish are still alive.

Thanks for the replies. Ever the procrastinator, I just added a power head and have done nothing else. It's been a few days and randomly today over the space of a few hours the water has cleared 10 fold, so I am just going to see how it is tomorrow and then go from there.

Thanks again

Most reactions

Back