Sandstone

what type of fish are you putting it in with? some of the more nose sensitive and whiskered fishes need the finer substrates so they do not injure their delicate noses and whiskers.

if you have cichlids, you may want to reconsider. most are prolific diggers and the finer substrates can clog the filters. they can really get things stirred up!

semper fi

doy ou want to use as substrate or juist decoration........
sandstone is sedimentary and they usually arent recommended. Was it meant for aquariums in the lfs or is it for a reptile ?
try putting vinegar over it and if it bubbles then it is no good.

beware of whiskered fish and sandstone decorations [i have removed mine now] i had a albino cory who lost his whiskas,couldn't find any other sign of illness, but after a while when moving the sandstone rock which was beautifully carved so that the fish could swim thro it, i noticed it had become quite rough .... i then decided that my cory had become over zealous with tha algea and had worn away his whiskas.the carved 'holes' had also become bigger ,so beautiful to us it may be but i'm not so sure for the fishes pebbles

ive got a type of sand stone for my central american cichlids i would have used red slate but couldnt find any it has little or no chemical affect on the water if you add acid to sand stone i dont think it would fizz. ive been told that it might wear away corry feelers to have sand in and ive heard it wears them away to have gravel in there i think sand would more likely wear little mouthparts away. i mean you dont use gravel paper in d.i.y. anyway its up to youi personally would use it if i liked the look of it.

I just got some aquatic potting soil for my 20 gallon. I read about it on another thread where somebody recommended it. It looks like micro gravel and is a tan color. I really think this stuff will look good in my planted 20gal.

id have thought that sandstone in a tank wouldnt be too good

sandstone is very crumbley.......id have thought that water...after it has soaked into the stone...would make the sandstone very weak n prone to crumble easier.......i do know that sandstone is used for reptiles tho from when i had a gecko and an iguana

id steer clear of it

Tek :fish:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back