Sand On Gravel A No No?

Trollfest

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 4, 2009
Messages
226
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Middlesbrough, UK
Thinking I want to have sand instead of gravel and was wondering if it was possible to put the sand directly on top of the gravel. I suspect this is not a good idea but don't know why.
 
eventually it will all mix together but sand is worth it its a great substrate IMO :good:
 
agreed if you put sand on top of the gravel it will sink to the bottom leaving sand with a gravel cap
scot :)
 
Actually, this could be a pretty good idea. Think, if you make hills in the gravel and you make an even layer accross, you'll have hills of gravel and sand too. Just need a few inches of sand.
 
Hmm that's a good idea. :cool: I've just suggested replacing all the gravel with sand to my boyfriend and he wasn't keen to say the least. But that sounds like a good compromise.
 
I would suggest that you not mix sand and gravel. The basic principle that is used to hold a gravel road together and make it last a long time is to mix lots of different sizes together. By mixing sizes, the finer particles can pack tightly between the larger particles and make a nice durable surface that you would never see with straight sand or straight gravel. Uniform sized particles do not pack down nearly as tightly. A graded system of sand and gravel can be very attractive but an effort should be made to keep the two separated in the tank and not let them mix much.
 
i did this, wanted sand, just to see how it looks so took out aprox half the gravel so i was left with a thin layer of gravel then I put sand on top, my clown loach keeps digging holes down to the gravel where the bogwood is and in the corners and I actually like how it looks with some gravel coming through, i can go take a pic if you want to see how it turns out?
 
i did this, wanted sand, just to see how it looks so took out aprox half the gravel so i was left with a thin layer of gravel then I put sand on top, my clown loach keeps digging holes down to the gravel where the bogwood is and in the corners and I actually like how it looks with some gravel coming through, i can go take a pic if you want to see how it turns out?

Yes please that would be helpful. :good:
 
I am glad this was asked, I have sand but after syphoning a lot out during water changes, wanted to have some gravel in too, I was wondering how it would look on top the sand or even as mentioned above a 'road' or pathway or gravel between the sand, lined with plants maybe, sounds like hassle and only want to go for that if someone can provide pics to show it would look nice?
 
i had gravel in my small tank then put silica sand in with it, its not fine sand, its like 1mm grains, i put it on top of the gravel and it looks very attractive, some of the gravel sticks through, it looks quite natural, but the fact is, given time the smaller grains will go to the bottom and all i will see is gravel.
 
http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu86/mini_matt_106/ should take you to my album on photobucket, can't get the light right tho! lol
 
I tried this, and it looked lovely to start with, but unfortunately it just slowly slipped under the gravel and became a real pain when you did a gravel vac. The sand end was fine hovvering above it to clean it, but when I vacc'd the gravel it sucked all the sand up through the gravel and then placed it back all over the top of the gravel. It just looked a real mess until it all fell back through the gravel.

In the end I've filled a couple of plastic trays with the sand and buried this up to their tops in the gravel and put slightly larger gravel on the edges so all you see is kind of a sand pit in the middle of the gravel!! The cory's love it!
 
http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu86/mini_matt_106/ should take you to my album on photobucket, can't get the light right tho! lol


lovin the mugs :good: :hey:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top