Sand In Tank Cleaning.

kingmed

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 12, 2007
Messages
205
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Bloomsburg pa
I have pool filter sand in my 29 and the tank is all cycled, do I need to poke holes in the sand every now and then just to keep gas pockets from forming? I would love to have some large burrowing snails or koolie loaches to help out but that will come later, I just don't want to loose any fish by being stupid. If I'm to poke holes what would be the best thing, figure that a fork would/might work O.K., + would I need to move the ornaments around in the tank to do this?
 
Hiya,

Yep you need to move the sand around regularly. About once a week would be good. I turn mine over at the same time as doing a water change so it's not much hassle at all. You can use your hands, you don't actually need to use a fork or anything. And yes, you ideally need to move the ornaments occasionally (once every 2 weeks I'd advise) to prevent the gas build up under them.

Take care,
Jo
 
as long as its pretty shallow (half inch or less i think) then gas pockets shouldnt build up anyway, but its worth giving it a stir reasonably regularly just incase, I do mine roughly once a month
 

Most reactions

Back
Top