Sand.... Dead Spots?

aly_starh

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Aug 20, 2009
Messages
3,040
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
land of the scots!
Hi. Some of my sand at the front of the tank is turning brown. Are these dead spots. I shuffle the sand every 2 days, but they still keep appearing.
 
its most probably brown algae...common in new tanks sealed with silicone...nothing to worry about although adding flow via a koralia nano will help
 
yes youve got dead spots...how bigs the tank?


Sorry for being stupid but what are dead spots? & can they be sieved out with a net?
they are bits of water where ammonia can build up and become stagnant causing algae...the way to get rid of them is to boost flow or improve the way the water circulates
 
I improved flow at the bottom of my tank by buying the smallest, crappiest filter and up ending it near the bottom of the tank, cost about 6 quid and it's extra filtration too.
 
No, If I'd asked a question about a similar problem I would have hijacked your post. I offered you helpful advice based on my own personal experience. Did I really need to put "This should also clear up your dead spots" at the end of the post? :blink:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top