Sand As Substrate

alysonpeaches

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jun 19, 2008
Messages
264
Reaction score
0
Points
16
I did a tank makeover recently with lots of new wood and new plants and decided to use playsand as a substrate. I have only used gravel before. It looks great at first, and when you do a water change/vac, but I feel that it is spoiled by visible poop on the sand. Ive added a few pebble size rocks, its still visible and Im not happy as its not as easy to vac as the gravel is.

If I put some gravel on top of the sand would that cause problems? Should I just wait until I want to have a big clear out and replace it all? Any other suggestions?
 
heres my tank after 5 weeks, a combination of good flow and some cories keeps it in shape
IMG_0030.jpg
 
heres my tank after 5 weeks, a combination of good flow and some cories keeps it in shape
IMG_0030.jpg

Right! this tank has no cories. I have them in my other community tank. Must get more or move them over. I think the bristlenoses produce most of the poop as they chew on the bogwood and this makes really dark poop.
 
cories will deffo help with the poop i have playsand in my tanks and dont have any visible poop
 

Most reactions

Back
Top