Sand And Gravel?

Harlequins

***Corydora Crazy***
Joined
Jul 4, 2009
Messages
5,227
Reaction score
10
Points
38
Location
Bristol UK
Hi there

well after getting these 6 corys,i read up that the cory julii loves to dig in sand,i don't particularly want to change all the tank to sand,i prefer the gravel,
I already have 2 types of gravel in the tank,larger roung gravel at the back and small fine gravel at the front,(i only did it this way because lfs didn't have 2 bags the same) :rolleyes: but i was thinking i wondered if i could move some gravel over,say the 2 front corners and put sand there,it doesn't mean to say the corys will use it,but its there if they do lol!!

Do you think this would look odd?
 
I think it would look odd. I think that they will be fine with gravel. My corries were fine with gravel. They prefer sand though.
 
Gravel causes there barbs to be eroded. They dig all over the tank so I don't think having a small area with sand would help. This is why you should thoroughly research before purchasing.
 
Hi there

well after getting these 6 corys,i read up that the cory julii loves to dig in sand,i don't particularly want to change all the tank to sand,i prefer the gravel,
I already have 2 types of gravel in the tank,larger roung gravel at the back and small fine gravel at the front,(i only did it this way because lfs didn't have 2 bags the same) :rolleyes: but i was thinking i wondered if i could move some gravel over,say the 2 front corners and put sand there,it doesn't mean to say the corys will use it,but its there if they do lol!!

Do you think this would look odd?


I had gravel in my first tank with Corys. When I upgraded to a bigger tank I used sand. The Corys are like different fish now!! They love it. And their barbels are growing back.

I would definitely switch to sand or get rid of the Corys? Personally having seen them on sand and gravel I don't think its fair on them with gravel. Just my opinion though.
 
go to sand!

if the gravel is sharp at all it will cut them :(

and sand looks alot nicer! :lol:
 
i've had gravel for years will absolutely no ill effect or barbel damage to any of my cory's!!!!

make of that what you will lol
 
at the end of the day you need to replicate what they would have in the wild... which is going to be more sand based than gravel based.....

p.s. if you have sand and gravel, over time it will jus all get mixed uo together and look wrong and you;ll end up adding more and more sand as it spreads out....

sand looks better, and corys reall do love it!!
 
I have just set up my new tank, and it has an area at one end of the tank that is river sand, the rest is small natural dorset pea gravel.

I think it looks ok, although over time, perhaps the gravel will eat into the sand and cover it, but at the moment it's fine. However, the corys still seem to prefer the gravel at the moment. My BN has taken up residence on a piece of bogwood on the sand and has dug down to the bare glass, so he obviously has taken offence to the sand!

I'll try and put some pictures in the picture section.
 
go to sand!

if the gravel is sharp at all it will cut them :(

and sand looks alot nicer! :lol:

I agree it does look better. Just in a thin layer. I am not too fond of the thick sand, unless it is with fish that dig in it like multies.
 
well after debating about sand,and i was aware that corys prefer in i added some in my tank,well after all the hassle they're not bothered,they are quite happy swimming around the tank and when they do go to the bottom they stay on the gravel!! :rolleyes:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top