saltwater setup

Im back again with more questions,

The tank im getting has no overflow boxes or holes drilled in it, an extra 100 for 3 holes, two for overflow boxes and one for water changes and the actual overflow boxes themselves. But i have two hang on filters 1200gph, and was wondering if i run a pipe from each one into the sump and use a adjustable 3000gph pump in the sump to pump it back up it will be ok, if settings are ok.

I strongly advise that you dont use pumps to pump to the sump and from the sump as you will never be able to get them running at the same speed. They may start of fthe same but as time passes by, one will either get faster or slower than the other. Detrius and simple algae build up is enough to slow down a pump just fractionally and that enough to caus ea disaster as the tank will either pump itself dry or the sump will dry ot.. either way you will get a wet floor :blink:

The best way is by using a drilled tank or failing this, use an overflow box.

An overflow box doesnt need drilled holes in the tank. The whole concept of an overflow box is to helptanks that are not drilled to return water to the sump without using a pump.

Just have a pump for the return flow back to the main tank from the sump and allow gravity worko ut the rest ;)

Hey Aussie,

The holes for a drilled system look pricey at first, but a good quality overflow system will set you back a pretty penny also.

One bonus to having a drilled tank is it will fetch a better price when you decide to sell it and get a bigger tank someday. :thumbs:

GL

Yep thats good advice actually. didnt think about the costing of it all.. the price of a drilled tank will hold better than a tank thats not drilled. and the price of a good overflow might be just as expensive as a drilled hole in a tank.

Did you say that they charge 100 (pounds?) to drill 2 holes? :blink: My LFS only charged me $15 to get a hole drilled... -_-

Mine cost me £50 for 2 holes with mini wiers

well they said extra $45 AUD for weir with hole drilled, so im guessing to is $90 AUD , plus im guessing another $10 AUD for the water change system im working on, i have it in my 30 gallon, and it works very well.

Can u tell how much water s coming out of the weirs, or do u have to adjust the setting to get a balance, though i would ask if anyones has and idea.

And the Live rock ratio is 1 pound = 1 gallon i guess, so thats 2.2KG = 4.5 Litres

k, i cant afford metal halides ATM, so i need the next best ( if i can afford that) and i think T8's are nexted, what is the best for a reef tank as you know what i want.

May have to search the LFS for them, i havent seen any in the local area, may hav to travel for them

Has any use metal halide down lights, the little circle ones, are they the same, casue i can get them cheap as casue my uncle is and electrician, If they make the right blubs for them that is

In the uk Halides are considered the best. The next one is a set of T5s and lastly the T8s. Basically though, I would cram as much light aas i could under the hood as you simply cannot have enough IMO.

k, ill start the search for T5's, but think ill just get T8's so much cheaper.

Wat is consider to be live sand, at my LFS there is a bag that has on it live sand and another bag next to it and it has coral sand, but they are the same and it looks the sand has builder sand, so whats the deal?

i found a nice and cheap 20 gallon setup, might start a mini reef in it, i know what to do now after all my rresearch and you;s are always here to help.

And if i get a AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium from USA havent seen them in oz, that i will be able to replace the powerhead with an austrlian 240V one, casue america is only 115V i think so it will blow up if i used it, anyone know?

i just found the best thing on the net, $300 for a 6 x 2 x 2 tank, thats like half price and 4 x 2 x 2 in $200 im am in heaven right now, just wish i had more then a $1000 in my bank account :p , and i also found them discus fish for $5 and the LFS sell them for $80 - 100, might start a get rick quick system to fund my marine tank when i get it. I can have a stand, tank with weir and 2 holes , mini reef sump with pipes and stuff, heater and hood for $680, so exicted lol just need lighting, prob $100 for 8 lights i love the LHWS (local hardware shop) its so cheap, anyways thats enough for now :D

Aussie_Star said:
Wat is consider to be live sand, at my LFS there is a bag that has on it live sand and another bag next to it and it has coral sand, but they are the same and it looks the sand has builder sand, so whats the deal?
???

With a $1000 you can start a 4x2x2 tank with ease. (mine cost a fraction of this cost... although the liverock still puts a dent in the pocket for a tank this size).

OK the sand...

Live sand that usually comes in bags is easily recognised as its kept very wet to allow the bacteria to survive. I hve used livesand in my tank alongside normal aragonite sand. To be very honest i could not see any difference in water quality or filtration. If you have enough live rock (which both my tanks did) then it will handle the initial bioload with ease (as long as you dont stock to high at the start). Liverock will soon "seed" the nomral sand very quickly and within a very short space of time.

Personally if you are on a budget, save yourself some cash and get sand that isnt live as it will become live once its in the tank.
Remember, a tank can be ran on a budget but you just need to take more careful steps and have patience (both these traits will train and serve you well in the marine world ;) )

Maybe in england that is mate :lol: i wish it was the case here. Well the $1000 is to fund my 190 gallon. I have found a tankmaker and he is darn cheap, so i can get a custom made marine tank cheap :D my 190 is ownly $300 like i said before. I was thinking of ordering a 24inch cube and making it a reef tank, he is also he the process of making DIY metal halides, so i well be in touch with him.

Yer with the live sand i though that aswell, the LFS is dumb, the bag that has live sand on it has been there for like a 1 year lol how can it still be live if its dead dry instead the bag lol cracks me up when i see it.

Another guestion, i have seen helps of marine cubes with a section on the back that is the sump, what is your opinon on this, does it do the same job, i guess it would.

I can wait until i get a fulltime job, Marine tank first thing on my list :D or it will be awhile before i can save the money again

hello

i have a saltwater tank so i will give you the list of equipment that i have and then you can choose for it.

2x rena xp3 external canister filter
2x clear seal automatic heater
2x bages of coral sand
1x hydrometer
1x UV sterilizer
1x calcium reactor
1x over tank liminair
4x t5 light tubs
1x tube of marine salt

that will be you'r basic set up!

i hope that i have helped in some way.. :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back