saltwater setup

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hey navarre, more questions :)

What is that eggcrate stuff, and why do you use it? Just to keep the rock off the glass? Do you fill the space between the top of the eggcrate and the bottom glass with sand?

And finally, when I checked the miracle mud tank in the shop, they had that exact same tank-in-3-segments design you drew (one small one on the left and right with mechanical filtration, and the larger space in the middle containing the mud, plants, crabs etc). Where do you buy a tank like that? The shop were doing a "bundle" deal - everything you need for about £900 for a 4 foot cabinet tank. I want to buy individually, but I've never seen a tank split into parts for the sump.

Thanks for singlehandedly keeping the marine section alive here :)

well that sucks about the overflow box lol, and about the sand i might just get from the hardware, (builders sand) i hav it in my africian and it keeps th ph at a constant 8.2

I hope my LFS has them miracle mud systems, i havent seen them before, and hope they can get some, or i just try and make one...(could be dangerous ) :crazy:

Lol yea is typical auusie talk sry for anyone else that dosent understand

Thanks for singlehandedly keeping the marine section alive here
Nah i wouldnt say i do that. I know there are many others that work equally as hard on here. I guess its just that MM systems is something that i know a fair bit about whilst others run other methods.

OK ill try and answer these as best i can...

i might just get from the hardware, (builders sand)

Be very careful with sand that isnt made for marine use. It can carry Silicates (usually found in play sand to be honest) and other nasties that whilst it might be ok in a freshwater tank, you could get enormous algea blooms with it in a marine tank. I cannot say for definate of course and you have already used it for another tank but i do advise caution

I hope my LFS has them miracle mud systems, i havent seen them before, and hope they can get some, or i just try and make one

Do you mean make your own sump? or your own mud? If its the sump then i can supply you with plans (already been posted on here somewhere) if you mean mud then this is definately a NO NO :crazy: The mud system is rich in minerals and trace eliments. I wuld not try and create something like that as the tank will be at great risk.

What is that eggcrate stuff, and why do you use it? Just to keep the rock off the glass? Do you fill the space between the top of the eggcrate and the bottom glass with sand?

The eggcrate is a plastic mech/grid. Its not placed directly on the glass. If you look at the photo ealier in this thred you wil lnotice that its actually on stilts/legs and the front of the eggcrate is covered with a clear acrylic wall./barrier. This puts the rock above the glass and allows flow to get under the rocks for better filtration. The sand is prevented from sliding under the eggcrate by the accrylic barrier. A spray bar is placed under the eggcrate to give a water flow under there and this stops any waste food etc from building up and keeps this area fresh and clean.

I have posted this before but i will include it here to save you searching. This is a simple desgin to create a reefrack.
rackdesign1.jpg

rackdesign2.jpg

rackdesign3.jpg

rackdesign4.jpg

This simple design would be ideal for a standard "Reef wall" aquascaped tank. Mine differs slightly as you can see from my photos because it is not a flat wall and is more a wave type design (which caused all sorts of problems trying to bend the acrylic :crazy: :*) )

This rack give a good flow rate up through the rock and rhis means that the rock is more efficient on its filtration as the entire surface of the rock can be used rather than 2/3s and the remaining 1/3 is under sand or on glass with no circulation around it.

If you are building a tank from scratch i recomend one. If you already have a tank setup and running they are a nightmare to try and install! :crazy:

they had that exact same tank-in-3-segments design you drew/Where do you buy a tank like that?

I made mine. :D If you have a spare tank thenits very simple. Just get some acrylic or get some glass cut. Then simply silicon it into position. If you want to try this then i will happily design a sump with all the measurements for you and you can put it together following that.

If you do not feel confident in making one then Im sure your lfs can get one for you. If they can get tanks built for people then they can get sumps done also. It probably wont be cheap though. Its cheaper to get a small tank and fit it yourself IMO

Hope this helps

Hrm, looks complex :)

The sand is prevented from sliding under the eggcrate by the accrylic barrier. A spray bar is placed under the eggcrate to give a water flow under there and this stops any waste food etc from building up and keeps this area fresh and clean

This part I don't get. Your photos appear to show the eggcrate as having holes in it. The barrier goes between the sand and the space under the egg crate, but how do you stop the sand just drifting in over the top?

The sand can flow over the top and into the gaps but the spray bar under the reef rack creates enough flow to blow it back out again.
The barrier will stop the spray bar from blowing the entire sand around in the front of the tank but what ever sand does drop down under the rocks will get thrown back out again.

well, the tank is off for a bit, i got my car rego bill today and it is heaps more than i saved :-( , So hopefully next year i will be doing it

I went to the LFS and asked about the miracle mud system, and he reckons he has never heard of it, so i gave him the website and he said he'll research them before he orders some ;)

Sorry to hear you cant get the tank just yet. Nevermind, keep up with the research and continue to feed your enthusiasm. Before you know it you will be ready for that tank sooner than you thought :)

what would be better a 48 x 24 x 24 or a 48 x 18 x 20? i can get both really cheap
i would think the 20 inche on caus eit isnt to deep but the 24 casue of more space for live rock etc

I always advise to get the largest you can afford to keep and fit. 4x2x2 is the same size as mine and this gives 100gallons of water. Larger systems are more forgiving than smaller ones. They take longer for temperature to effect them, longer for water quality to change so it gives a larger window of error should something need to be fixed.

24 deep give a nice effect for liverock and corals. but with this depth you will really need halides to penetrate this deep.

The aquascaping opportunities for a tank of this size is far greater than the smaller tanks also. Of corse the running cost to fit it out with live rock etc will be far higher also. I was astoundined at the price tag my larger tank has cost me when compared to my 40 gallon. So much so in fact ihad to temporarily closeit down as i could not afford to run them both :crazy: :*)

yer thats wat i though aswell but just had to ask the master lol, hopefully i should hae the tank by feb next year maybe xmas, i might not paid my car rego lol

I ask about the miracle mud sysytems and in australia, you supposely cant get them, so im really cut, hoe much are they in england?, may try to get one shipped

It depends what type of mud you want really.
IMO all do the same job and there doesnt seem to be much to choose between tem.

The prices i have found so far show the following

Miracle Mud

2.2kg £26.87
4.5kg £48.33

Mineral Mud:
1 Gallon Jar (Aprox 5kg) £18.95

I cant find the price for the Kent Range of mud products sorry. :/

k, Im thinking about getting a AquaFuge External Hang-On Refugium, these are the same as the miracle mud systems arent they? I think they are, and will it work as good if i have a mini reef sump aswell or i can just have the hang-on by itself?

I found some cheap sand aswell at this LFS down the coast, its meant to be biggest in australia, but they hadnt got miracle mud systems :/ but they have cheap live rock in very good conidition :D

I dont know much about the hang on products im afraid but if it can keep the mud with its algea in a good sized unit, allows water to pass fromthe main tank to the hang on then it should be fine.

well i went to the LFS on the weekend and and the guy gave me some plns that he use to make his filters for his shop, so i going to try and make my own sump/refugium with plenum. He gave me some websites to help asell. here is where he got his idea found The link
And he also gave me a the exporters name of where he gets his live rock, so maybe get it a little cheaper, well i hope. So the tank maybe will be running by xmas of even end of january

Very nice design and well labelled for easy explanation. Seems like you got some wrk ahead of you then! Good luck with it :D

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back